Thursday, October 17, 2019

Lez Watch Fall TV

The new fall season of TV is like dating. All these shiny new options and no clue which ones will actually be worth it and which will be epic disasters. While I’ve never had to swipe right or left on a real person, I’ve committed to swiping right on these network TV shows. You may notice, true to form, I’ve only swiped on shows with female leads because, hello, have you met me? While I am well aware there may be other worthy and others with queer characters, these are the ones I’ve decided to take home, for better or worse.

“Stumptown”


I knew after the first episode that “Stumptown” and I were gonna work out. Why? Well, it’s got Cobie Smulders. It’s got Cobie Smulders playing a bisexual private investigator. It’s got Cobie Smulders playing a bisexual private investigator as created by Greg Rucka, the comic book artist you may know best for making Kate Kane/Batwoman and Renee Montoya super duper gay.

So, as you can see, that’s a lot of reasons to like “Stumptown” without even watching the show. But if you have watched the show you’ll know it’s a hard-boiled PI show with a big heart, plus a lot of getting punched in the face. Cobie, who most gay women have had a not-so-secret crush on since she showed up in a white tank top on “The L Word” to make Bette and Tina’s baby mobile/flirt shamelessly with Bette. In short, I basically can’t wait for this show each week and I super hope that have Cobie’s Dex hook up with a lady sometime pretty soon.


“Batwoman”


Please, like I wasn’t going to watch “Batwoman.” The clunky exposition of the pilot episode aside, “Batwoman” has become an enjoyable superhero show that takes itself a tad more seriously than “Supergirl” while injecting a lot of needed swagger into it’s heroine. That swagger all comes from Ruby Rose, who what she may lack in Shakespearean acting chops she makes up for in presence and smolder. I mean, the lady can smoulder really, really well.

And it got super gay right away, which is the least it could do considering Batwoman is the very first lesbian superhero to headline her own TV show. Let me repeat that, the very first lesbian superhero to headline her own TV show, It’s called Batwoman, about Batwoman, and Batwoman is gay. So while the Supreme Court mulls over whether we should have the right to work and not be fired for simply being who we are, TV has already decided that America willl watch a lesbian superhero work and kick ass every week.

“Evil”


To be completely honest, I’m not sure if I can recommend “Evil” just yet. I’ve also been trying out the show, but remain on the fence. I will tell you that I continue to watch because of a) Katja Herbers, and b) It’s actually genuinely scary. Like, for real, I had some nightmares about it last week. And I like the strong supporting cast, though it could certainly do with more regular female characters (who aren’t just Katja’s characters four - yes FOUR - daughters).

But what I don’t like as much is its ponderous religious philosophising, which has been rather heavy handed to start but hopefully will mellow a bit. Like, I get it, this show is very very Catholic. So, we shall see.

p.s. I also have a number of episodes of “Emergence” no my DVR, which I have not watched yet because I am wary of getting into a mystery show that might get cancelled quickly. But I really love Allison Tolman (gosh, I miss “Downward Dog” so so much) so there it sits.

So, what are you watching, kittens? And should I give “Emergence” a try?

6 comments:

Waffles said...

I like emergence so far - but have a hard time seeing how the story could extend across a whole season? But it's engaging enough to keep me watching.

Carmen SanDiego said...

I’m enjoying Batwoman more than I thought I would, still have to watch Stumptown...

Kimmersu said...

I'm scared to get too into Emergence, also, but I've been drawn in to it since the first episode. It's worth it!

Kim White said...

Emergence is so good. The story line is intriguing. I definitely think you should check it out.

Anonymous said...

I’m enjoying Batwoman, too, and recording Stumptown but have not watched it yet. One has smolders and one has Smulders 😊.

I like the 2 new legal dramas: Bluff City Law has an appealing young female lead AND an older lesbian attorney in the firm. All Rise has a judge (a beautiful, smart, caring black woman) who is learning the ropes from Marg Helgenberger (who has a lovely, so far mysterious female partner). So the gayness isn’t in the lead roles, but both shows have strong female leads.

Fong said...

I absolutely love Stumptown. So entertaining.Not to mention the songs played on it is so good & fitting the scenes.
Still not very sure about Batwoman but will continue to watch it.