Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Not So Little Women

Well, not that the Emmys are over and it is officially October, seems like Oscar season should be afoot. And for what seems like forever now “Little Women” and “Pride & Prejudice” have been locked in a death match for screen adaptation supremacy. While Jane Austen’s novel has about 55 years and a different continent on “Little Women,” Louisa May Alcott’s distinctly American tome remains universally beloved for daring to say women have minds and souls as well as hearts. So then how could I resist when yet another adaptation with yet another all-star cast comes rolling along.

“Ladybird” writer-director Greta Gerwig brings the March women to vibrant life with a cast that includes Saoirse Ronan (Jo), Emma Watson (Meg), Laura Dern (Marmee) and Meryl freaking Streep (Aunt March). Also Timothée Chalamet plays ultimate literary fuckboy Laurie which is perhaps the most perfect casting in an already perfectly cast film. Even without the strong feminist undertones (but, obviously, I love and cherish any and all strong feminist understones), I would watch this film for Saoirse in an assortment of vests, blazers, cravats and bowler hats alone. Her exasperated eyerolls at The Patriarchy, well, that’s just the feminist cherry on top.



p.s. This also means I’ll never have to watch Susan Sarandon’s 1994 version ever again. Which considering she’s up to her old “A Woman, Just Not That Woman” shenanigans again is a very, very good thing.

1 comment:

Carmen SanDiego said...

I already know I’m gonna cry. Also still amazed that Emma Watson didn’t go all “Jo or bust” for her casting. Nice of her.
But it’s Winona Forever for me, I grew up with that version. My grandma took me to see it in the theater. Oh man, I’m gonna cry so much