Friday, October 25, 2019

My Weekend Crush

Fine, FINE, I started watching “Emergence” on your suggestions. And I’ve gotten sucked in even though it’s basically “Stranger Things” with a plane crash and without 80s nostalgia. But I’m mostly into it because of Allison Tolman. Man, is that lady good at acting. There’s something at once incredibly relatable and organically soulful and unquestionably capable about her as an actress. She makes it feel real. She feels real. Have I mentioned she’s good at acting?

I never watched her in “Fargo” (I know, I know), but I was one of like three people to watch and love her in “Downward Dog,” a show I still love and still miss and every now and then watch the final episode of over again on my DVR JUST BECAUSE I CAN AND I WANT TO.

In “Emergence” she brings that same innate capableness to the role of a small town police chief. And you root for her, not because she’s trying to be so incredibly winsome but because she’s so non nonsense. Life gets weird and messy and inconvenient and sometimes there are telekinetic orphans you have to take care of all of a sudden, but smart women like Allison’s Police Chief Jo Evans find a way through. Through great performers sometimes we see ourselves reflected back in ways we never imagined.

So, in short, it’s great to be able to see Allison on my TV (once I catch up on my DVR) week after week. So I guess that means my weekend plans are set. Have a happy weekend, all.

2 comments:

Helena said...

Like the non nonsense :)Have a good weekend Dorothy.

Carmen SanDiego said...

Downward Dog <3