Thursday, April 13, 2023

Pottermore? Please, Potterless

You know that gif of Michael Scott where he is just like, “Noooooooo!” Yeah, that’s how I feel about the new Harry Potter series coming to Max (not HBO Max, because the fucking Discovery Channel bought one the best TV brands - and film brands with Warner Brothers - in existence only to destroy it from within, but I digress). Yesterday the multi-billion dollar multi-media conglomerate announced they’d inked a new deal with none other than THE Transphobe Supreme JK Rowling for a new exhaustive (and exhaustingly gross, honestly) new “Harry Potter” TV series. She who I wish we didn’t have to keep naming will serve as executive producer and nicely pad her existing billions. Wonderful, thrilling, no notes whatsoever! Just kidding, let’s Avada Kedavra that news with fire!

Making this deal even more gross is its scope and cost. The books will become a “decade-long series” with an entirely new cast. To make it they’re forking over a “Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon”-sized budget, or even higher. So that’s $125 million and up, folks. Gosh, what good in the world could $125 million a year accomplish other than continuing to enrich a billionaire transphobe? Probably nothing, so might as well give it to Joanne.

An executive at the streamer formerly known as HBO Max told The Hollywood Reporter: “[It] will be that scale or higher. Whatever it takes to make a quality show.”

Well, here’s a thought. To make a quality show please start with quality people, and Rowling is definitely not that — not anymore and not for a long time. The thing is, people change. She has changed. And the person she is now is blinkered by her staggering wealth, siloed thinking and misguided attempt at so-called feminist advocacy. (Also, if she was such an ardent feminist, why create an elaborate fantasy universe with a cis white straight boy as its ultimate namesake hero? Like, you have the entire universe and that’s as far as your imagination extends? Weakest of sauce.)

I enjoyed the Harry Potter film series (I’m a tad old for the books, to be honest). And I really enjoyed their casts. But I have no reason to return to that world of wizarding as is because it contains nothing new and instead comes from someone who now harbors hateful ideologies. The best stories, the ones we hold dearest, root for the underdog. But when the champion of the underdogs becomes a bully instead, we all lose.

Right now, trans people are among the most maligned, the most discriminated against, the most vulnerable among us. This year already some 417 anti-LGBTQ+ bills have been introduced in state legislatures across the country, according to American Civil Liberties Union. Most of these focus on education and health care and public access — basically just trying to ban trans people out of public existence. Now, remind me again, what kind of people like to eradicate entire groups of marginalized people from the planet? Not good ones, that’s for sure.

I think the bare minimum we can do as consumers is to be judicious about what we give our money and attention to. Sure, some conflicts are unavoidable because phrases like “multi-billion dollar multi-media conglomerate” exist and so much is owned by so few. But there’s no reason to get back on the Hogwart’s Express at this time. Just like I won’t be watching or rewatching the works of Woody Allen or Roman Polanski (and, truly, a host of other gross men) anymore, I won’t be revisiting Joanne’s Potterverse. New times demand new stories. Let’s go find and support those instead in this for the next decade and beyond.

4 comments:

Carson Fletcher said...

Well said! And I couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

To equate JK with two rapists is a huge leap. I don’t contest that her politics and opinions are not easy and are too nuanced for our current context which is fighting for safety and against people who cannot see past their hatred and fear. The war on trans folk is disgusting and shameful. Cancelling a fantasy series is unnecessary and I am saving my outrage and action for actual agents of harm who deny basic rights and enact laws that remove personhood. You might remove this comment which I get.

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed your posts over the years and usually don't comment, but this one hit me hard.

The LGBT community is increasingly divided on TQ+ issues.
Unfortunately, any questioning is considered transphobic, which frankly seems sectarian.

Twitter is not the best place for real discussion and JK Rowling could have worded her statements better. However, the issues she points out are important (medical transitioning children and allowing males with no intention of transitioning into the female only spaces).

Don't you have even a shadow of a doubt with the explosion of young girls who didn't have GD until they entered puberty? I'm in my mid-30s, in a relationship with a woman. I can't help thinking that growing up today, I might have thought I was a boy and mutilated myself if I had the chance.

I strongly encourage you to listen to the podcast on TFP:
https://www.thefp.com/p/the-witch-trials-of-jk-rowling

It touches on so much more than the JK Rowling controversy and is eye-opening in many ways.

Anonymous said...

To the previous comment, as butch, back then a “tomboy” kid, I absolutely agree and am grateful that I grew up in a less fanatically pro-transition era. I don’t question that trans folk are real and that people should have freedoms to be who they are. I feel equally scared for the youth right now who are not done growing into their full selves and are ushered into surgery and other actions that cannot be walked back ever should they one day feel differently and those feelings are found to mean something else.