Friday, April 14, 2023

My Weekend Crush

Fine, omg, I’m a freaking lesbian cliché. I love Boygenius and their sad, sensitive lesbian music. I spent all last Sunday gardening in the beautiful sunshine to their new album “The Record.” And I am now a complete mess/emotionally exhausted and also completely hooked. OK, I get it, Youths. You were right. The supergroup of Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus are amazing together.

Yes, they sing about being 27. But something about the crystalline emotions of our younger selves continues to resonate through the ages. Nothing stings like the first heartbreak, but every heartbreak will always hurt anew like the first time somehow. If you’re a gal who loves the lyrics like me, shit, you’re going to awaken so many ghosts, old and new, to gently haunt your heart.

Like, have you ever wept while pulling weeds and listening to the aching specificity of “Cool About It?” Because I have. And have you longed for the chance to be devastated by the same soul through space and time and rebirth like “We’re In Love?” That sure hits different while potting your tomatoes for the season.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve listened less to music. Mostly, honestly, I listen in the car. But sometimes, like last weekend, I remember how it feels to immerse myself and let the sonic feelings just wash over me again. I haven’t stopped listening all week. Maybe you’ll like a sensory dip into the girl geniuses of Boygenius too, if you haven’t already. Happy weekend, all.

p.s. Also Kristen Stewart directed this and the film (and three music videos) for “The Record” in case you needed even MORE lesbo street cred.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Boygenius fan club, Dorothy! You should check out their EP if you haven’t already (hard to pick a favorite, for me it’s a tie between “Me and My Dog” and “Salt in the Wound”). And definitely check out their Brooklyn Steel show on YouTube. It is fantastic!