Thursday, April 27, 2023

So Sappy

I know Mae Martin’s “Feel Good” is good. Objectively, it’s well done. But, for me, it felt too claustrophobic given my proximity to addiction, mental health, toxicity and various neuroses in my romantic, familial and everyday relationships. Sometimes, their issues felt too present and decisions too frustrating to continue. So I didn’t watch Season 2. But I still enjoy Mae Martin’s work. And their new special, “Sap,” is directed by none other than Abbi “Give Her More Than Four Episodes of ALOTO” Jacobson. (Side Note: I’ve noticed that Mae appears to know all of the lesbian celebrities. Which, you know, good work if you can get it.) The nonbinary comic’s new special is also good, very good. Relatable in a way that somehow felt less intense than their show. You can see them puzzle out the world and themselves in real time, which is fascinating. They’re obviously an astute observer of the human condition, with fierce desire not to be categorized or corralled into the old, traditional way of thinking about ourselves and our systems. And, again, relatable. And funny, don’t forget funny. So if you want an hour of queer observation, both inward and outward, be that sap and find it on Netflix.

No comments: