Friday, April 28, 2023

My Weekend Crush

This month marks the 35 anniversary of Tracy Chapman’s landmark self-titled debut. “Fast Car,” “Baby Can I Hold You,” “Talkin’ Bout a Revolution.” These songs feel like the bedrock of a generation, at least my generation. I grew up after the era of protest songs, but something about Tracy’s music always felt like an intimate, personal protest. “Fast Car” transports you instantly to that car. To that moment. To that weightless feeling of possibility and then the crushing weight of real life. Damn, what a song. What a singer. It’s been 15 years since she has released new music. Who knows if we’ll get any more. But the gift she already gave us will continue to resonate when we’ve all shuttled off this mortal coil, and the sun swallows all of our known existence. Thanks for making us feel like we belonged, Tracy. Happy weekend, all.

2 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

Fantastic album, top to bottom

Anonymous said...

35 years! I had to double check (no offence).
Christ I feel oooooooooooooooold