Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Foster The Night

Welcome to MAX week where I continue to complain about one of the best networks/streamers (HBO/HBO Max) now just being Max and adding a bunch of dumb Discovery shit and unwanted Harry Potter content to our lives. But, because exceptions prove the rule, there are some new shows coming up that certainly pique my very lesbian interest. Like, hello, Jodie Foster. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in a police uniform before and, welp. I know ACAB, but how about fictional cops? Those iceberg-blue eyes and that deep queer lady catnip voice. Oops, did I just do a crime? My bad, arrest me.

Now, I was going to watch “True Detective: Night Country” anyway because it’s a crime drama with co-female leads in Jodie as Chief of Police Liz Danvers and boxer-turned-actress Kali Reis as Detective Evangeline Navarro. But I know (thanks, Autostraddle) that I’m not the only one who raised a bit of an eyebrow at the enemies-plus-benefits potential of Jodie and Kali’s characters. Like that first look Det. Navarro gives Danvers in the trailer? Like, you could singe toast on that. And Jodie rasping, “We’re just going to do this one thing, work together to close this case and that’s it for the two of us.” Like, backstory. We DEMAND backstory. Is this a “Vigil” situation? Please may my wishful gay thinking be right this time. Like they couldn’t have included this maybe they’re cuddling for warmth, maybe they’re born with The Gay shot in the teaser trailer just to pull the old Are They Lesbianing Together Sweeps Week gag, would they? Guess we’ll find out sometime later this year.

4 comments:

Disappointed in you said...

ACAB?

ALL?

Every single last one?

Read this blog for eons. Over a decade I think and somehow expected better from you. I’m disappointed in such a lazy, cliched crude stereotyping. I know our mileages all vary and you live in a very fucked up country but this is just poor DS, poor.

Anonymous said...

Um. Della Street, Anita St. Pierre?

Anonymous said...

Exactly my thoughts. Most sizzling lesbian storyline in a long long while

Anonymous said...

Ok, so how about AACAB: All American Cops Are Bastards.

Happy now?