Monday, April 03, 2023

Music Monday: Cannonball Edition

Thirty years later, and “Cannonball” is still one of the coolest songs to ever. Period. End of sentence. Why am I still writing? Oh yeah, because The Breeders remain my seminal indie alt-rock band. The band that helped me leap from my Top 40 love (which, no disrespect, I still love me some pop effervescence). But The Breeders was probably the first true indie alt-rock band I adored back back back in the day. (Sure, I loved the Indigo Girls and Ani DiFranco in those days too, but they weren’t really a band, you know?) I saw them during college and it felt like rock and roll should feel. All raw energy and disheveled charisma. It probably also helped that my first girlfriend/first love was totally in love with Kim Deal. And while The Breeders weren’t necessarily part of the Riot Grrrl aesthetic (they’re from Ohio, not the Pacific Northwest, after all), they always felt like some of the most authentic girl alt-rock bands around. Also, Kim and Kelley Deal were hot sisters who played guitar and screamed into microphones (and don’t sleep on Josephine Wiggs, who is the one apparently out lesbian member of the band). So, you know, guess it’s time to dig out my “Last Splash” CD and crank up the volume. Welcome to April, little libertines. Happy Monday, kittens.

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

Amazing song. I had that video recorded from mtv on one of my vhs tapes
30 years later and I’m just finding out Riot Grrrl was from the Pacific Northwest?
Wow I Had no idea