Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Not so silent all these years

CLICK to enlarge for your own Little EarthquakeI had sixth-row seats to see Tori Amos back in college. Let me tell you, she was pretty fucking amazing. The way she made that baby grand melt beneath her fingers and thighs, let’s just say it made an impression. To this day, my love for the ethereal, scarlet-haired piano goddess remains strong. Sure, every now and then it seems like she breaks out the lyrics Mad Libs. I’m still waiting for someone to explain exactly what it means to catch a lite sneeze.

But Tori’s willingness to be provocative and talk about the things most people would rather not keeps her close to my heart. Rape, miscarriage, prostitution, masturbation. It’s a veritable who’s who of awkward dinnertime conversation. So, in typical Tori fashion, she appears to be back at the button pushing with her new album, “American Doll Posse,” due out May 1. A promo shot was released yesterday (click above to enlarge). With a bible in her right hand, “shame” scrawled on her left hand and blood running down her leg, I’m going to take a wild guess and say that she has a thing or two to say about the church. I can’t wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oo, I'm excited! I saw Tori in '98 - one of the very best live acts I've ever seen even nearly 10 heavily gig-attending years later. Not to mention the soundtrack to my adolescent alienation and discontent...love her.

Anonymous said...

While most Tori Albums can send me into whirls of adoration and she gives great copy in interviews, I couldn't make it through The Beekeeper. I read a review which said, and I'm paraphrasing, "The only way to ensure Amos makes a good record ever again, is to kidnap her baby daughter". Harsh. But true? Here's hoping it's as good as her older stuff..

Anonymous said...

Wow, tough love for Tori there.. I must admit that her last really great album was 'From the Choirgirl Hotel' - I think the music that really transcends of hers is that which takes a bigger issue but passes it through the filter of her own experience. All that conceptual journey through America stuff from Scarlet's Walk just didn't have the same emotional impact for me. Anyway, ramble ramble. I should stop procrastinating on Tori Amos and get back to preapring for the job interview I have tomorrow..

Anonymous said...

I'm turning a lovely shade of green at the thought of your sixth row seats...