Friday, March 09, 2007

My Weekend Crush

You're standing on my neckAll this focus on the 12th letter of the alphabet (and more coming tomorrow) got me thinking about other TV shows I’ve slavishly watched in the recent past. There was Buffy, of course, and Sex and the City. My So-Called Life and Wonderfalls (all four aired episodes, thank you box sets). And then, there was Daria. That Daria Morgendorffer. She was smart, dark and snarky before snarky was cool. Plus, did anyone else secretly wish she would hook up with Jane? Daria was the show’s alienated, sarcastic, misanthropic, combat-boot wearing heart. Some called her The Misery Chick, I called her a role model. And, for those keeping score at home, I realize I’ve picked two fictional characters in a row as My Weekend Crush. What can I say, reality is overrated. Happy weekend, all.

6 comments:

Heather Anne Hogan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wonderfalls had more than 4 episodes.

Anonymous said...

I was and am a firm believer that Daria and Jane should've hooked up. I still like to imagine that I missed the episode when they did and will one day find it whilst channel surfing..

Anonymous said...

Daria ruled! I just know in my heart that she went to Sarah Lawrence.

Anonymous said...

In my mind...
Daria went to Sarah Lawrence; Jane when to art school somewhere. They lost touch, but then both returned to Lawndale for a high-school reunion, just for kicks, where they were reunited and discovered their long-burning passion for each other. Now they're living in Chicago in a fabulous apartment with two dogs (from rescue organizations, of course) and a manic cat named Mystic Spiral but called Missy for short.

Yeah, I need to get out more. Maybe read a book.

Anonymous said...

YAY! More Daria lovers!
the show rocked, but there needed to be more. And Tom sucked.
Cos I'm a nerd here's femslashy Daria (no I didn't write it)
http://www.theangstguy.com/fanfics/janeunchained.htm