Friday, December 30, 2022

My Year-End Crush

This was, to say the least, not my year. But, if I think hard enough there were some good things about this past year. Like, if I think really, really hard. Like I watched some good stuff this year, so there is that. Here are the favorite things I watched in 2022.

Movies: Everything Everywhere All At Once

Despite all the multiverse madness/dildo fights in this insane, kaleidoscope of a movie, its story boils down quite simply to love your lesbian daughter, and your life. So, obviously, I loved this movie. Obviously.

TV: Station Eleven

As much as I love, love, loved “Yellowjackets” and “A League of Their Own” and “High School” and “Somebody Somewhere” and season 2 of “Hacks” and season 2 of “Girls5Eva” and season 2 of "Abbott Elementary" (and none for you, final season of “Killing Eve” because you know what you did…), the series that moved me the most this past year was the one about the end of the world. Something about this quiet, thoughtful and against all odds filled with hope apocalypse show just stuck with me. This is a kinder, gentler but no less profound look at how we might rebuild something of meaning from the rubble of our modern lives.

Music: Joni & Brandi

Brandi Carlile and friends bringing back Joni Mitchell to sing at this summer’s Newport Folk Festival wasn’t just inspired and deeply moving. It was a reminder that the luckiest amongst us get to see our art and truths deepen over the years. Age doesn’t always bring wisdom, unfortunately. But truly beautiful things have a way of touching the parts of us that defy space and time.

So, what were your favorites this wretched year? Buh-bye, 2022. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. But thanks for the good stuff to watch, I guess. Happy weekend and New Year, all.

7 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

May you have a fantastic 2023, DS. Thank you for sticking with us this year

Helena said...

Wishing you a very good 2023 and I appreciate your writing so much. Sorry I cannot do more to help you in your sad time.

fridax said...

A happier 2023 to come, Dorothy.

It wasn't the best of year here either but I did enjoy ALOTO, NCIS Hawai'i and even TLW Gen Q 🤪. And yes, Everything Everywhere All At Once was glorious. May we all find our little and big joys in life (again).

Anonymous said...

Did you happen to take in Sort Of on HBOMax? It's a new favorite. Great characters and storylines!

Anonymous said...

Have to take a look at Station Eleven. Seeing movies on big screen usually cheers me up. Plan to do more sitting in (movie) theaters and dream some more. Travel and do things that make me happy. Never know what is awaiting around the corner.
Keep doing stuff that inspires you. All the best and happier new year 2023! -Josander

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a wonderful 2023, Ms. Snarker.
May it bring you new friends, joy, laughter and
lots of success and lots of money too (and kitties)!

Anonymous said...

Agree about Station Eleven. ALOTO also did it for me. The books Still Life by Sarah Winman. Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead. Who is Vera Kelly? by Rosalie Knecht