Thursday, December 22, 2022

Pre-L: "Questions for the Universe" (306)

Suffering Sappho! The rumors are true. Yes, lesbians, there is a musical episode of “The L Word: Generation Q.” I mean, holy shit, not even Ilene Chaiken had the unbridled audacity to do a musical episode when she was showrunner. And she gave us circus tent drama and a surprise murder mystery. So, truly, nothing should shock us. And yet I was absolutely, positively stunned that…I kinda loved it. I mean, yeah, it’s kinda weird and total tonal whiplash to throw in the middle of some fairly serious storylines. But, you know what, it’s also kinda fun. Since it’s launch, I’ve said TLW:GQ is a better constructed, more competent show than its original predecessor. But it’s also a little more boring and a lot less fun. But these left field musical shenanigans? No, it doesn’t make sense in the context of this season. Yes, I still kinda loved it. Honestly, allowing the character to express their core feelings over elaborate musical set pieces kinda works. I dunno, maybe my brain has just melted from watching almost nine seasons of this show. Maybe I’ve gotten soft in my old age. But, yeah, I kinda really loved it. Honestly, it feels like this whole season has been an exercise in how to exorcise your past, tie up ends that needed typing and even apologize for past wrongs. Like, if they introduce a Sounder II we’ll know it’s gone too far. But for now? Yeah, kinda love it. My suggestion, just sit back and enjoy the trip.

1. When looking very Shane today is a very bad thing.

2. Look, at least they didn’t make Alice join the Hollywood sex cult.
3. I know, at this point it’s all going to seem like a terrible idea.
4. Oh Lesbian Captain, My Lesbian Captain
5. What in the WandaVision?
6. I immediately demand a whole show about 80s Alice.
7. Dana. Just Dana.
8. Yes. They. Did.
9. Can’t stop, won’t stop.
10. Stand on all the tables you want, we still don’t care.
11. I feel like Musical Shane just wandered off the set of A League of Their Own.
12. This makes up for Waterfall Dana.
13. Thank you, Erin Daniels.
14. Does this shot oddly remind anyone of an alternate universe Evelyn McHale? (Trigger Warning: suicide, self-harm)
15. Never forget, Leisha Hailey is also a damn fine musician. I absolutely loved The Murmurs.
16. Yes, I am also freaked out by how much I loved this episode.
Scrap Cap:
Dana and cats. I want to go to there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it allows them to bring back Erin Daniels, even for one episode, then I'm all in!

Anonymous said...

A better constructed show???? Not in ANY universe.

Anonymous said...

Awful show

Anonymous said...

It was fun. Now I understand the old cliche "jump the shark" episode.

Anonymous said...

“Stand on all the tables you want, we still won’t care”

I FEEL SEEN

(Although I detested this episode, de.test.ted)