Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bust a move

Oh, joy. Oh, happiness. Oh, GLEE! Good news Gleeks, your favorite group of singing misfits will return a week sooner than planned, on Sept. 9. This means only 42 more days until the all-singing, all-dancing, all-snarking fabulosity that is “Glee” returns to our televisions. It’s been a while since a program made me this unabashedly giddy with delight. I think the last one bordering on that was “Pushing Daisies.” And before that, probably “Wonderfalls.”

So what it is about “Glee” that hits my happy place? (No, not that happy place. That’s the “Spartacus: Blood and Sand” trailer) It’s clearly not just the singing. If that was the case I’d be watching Daniela Sea Zac Efron croon about shooting baskets and receiving naughty emails from Vanessa Hudgens. It’s the bite – the sharp, stinging bite that made the first episode such a wondrous thing to behold. Also Jane Lynch. Sweet fancy Moses, let there be more Jane Lynch.

Fox has released a new clip, and it is fan-fucking-tastic. In it, Mercedes (the divatastic Amber Riley) covers Jazmine Sullivan’s “Bust Your Windows” and reveals a doomed love for the club’s resident gay boy, Kurt (Chris Colfer). Cock your shoulder and flex your attitude. Then press play. [If YouTube pulls this non-geoblocked clip, I’ll repost the official Hulu version.]

Besides just kicking all around ass (also, hello bikini-clad cheerleader backup dancers), this clip tells us that not all the numbers in the “Glee” universe will be relegated to the club’s performances. Neat! If any show can make breaking into spontaneous song smoking instead of silly, it’s this one. I replayed that clip three times in a row and it improved my mood tenfold.

So, are you ready? OK! Give me a “G!” Give me a “L!” Give me an “E!” Give me another “E!” What’s that spell? Hell fucking yeah, that’s what it spells.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

*flails* Jane Lynch! *flails*

Ok, now that that is over can I just say how FREAKING EXCITED I am for this? Wow. You can already tell it's going to be epic.

Reverend Jane Ignatowski said...

I showed up for Jane Lynch, but I stayed for THE MUSIC. Heh, that portrayal of the mullet-headed lawn dude as a musical inspiration for the boy lead was comedic genius. And I hope the young woman singing in this clip gets a lot of play over the season, love her voice, reminds me of the 70s divas.

Shasta said...

Oh yeah, I've been giddy over Glee all summer. It would help if Fox would let people outside the US watch the pilot because I'd be sending all my friends.
And yeah, Jane Lynch.

Big Shamu said...

I think I saw Jane Lynch in the audience of Kathy Griffin's latest episode, bidding on Melissa Etheridge's cookies. At least I hope it was.

Norma Desmond said...

I really can't wait. Like you, this is the first show I've been THIS excited about since "Pushing Daisies." Is it the singing? The colors? What is it about these shows that is just so darn FABULOUS??

TheWeyrd1 said...

It's been in my DVR recording list for months now...heh.

Your friend, Rusty said...

At Comic-Con I had to pick between the Glee and V panels. It came to choosing Morena Baccarin and Elizabeth Mitchell over Jane Lynch.

But it was very close.

triplestripe said...

we've had the "preview" here is Aus - can't wait to see more, season one starting in sept...

JenLew said...

Glee came to Comic Con and had a panel showing the second episode. Some of the cast and some of the writers were there taking questions and discussing what we could expect for the season. Its going to be awesome!!

Unknown said...

I just don't see why Jane Lynch would give up Party Down for this show. :/