Thursday, October 02, 2008

Eat, drink and be gay

Oh, my little loaves and ladles, it’s been too long without a tasty “Top Chef” tidbit. But, the oven bell has finally dinged and your generous serving of Padma & The TC Gang is ready to be devoured. The new cast of “Top Chef: New York” was revealed yesterday and yes – rest assured – there is a chefbian in the mix. Please meet Jamie Lauren. She has copious tattoos and a pendant shaped like a pretzel. Is it too soon to be smitten? Perhaps I should wait to see her food first.

The 30-year-old native New Yorker is the executive chef at Absinthe Brasserie & Bar in San Francisco. In a 2005 San Francisco Chronicle feature about her rising chef status, Jamie mentioned moving to the city with her girlfriend. Yet in a 2007 feature she talks about going to the Lex and Cat Club and the “totally hot waitress” elsewhere. So, you know, I'm just saying.

Via her Bravo profile her “favorite thing to eat is Indian food and she is obsessed with onions.” Via her restaurant profile she treats her staff “how I would want to be treated. No yelling, and a little dancing in the kitchen. Oh, and we burn incense to ward off the bad spirits.” And via her casting call interview with 7X7, guess who she wants to see as a guest judge: “Rachael Ray, just because I hate her.” Never mind the food. Hello, smitten.

Now, while Jamie is the only officially out female contestant, I am not above a quick gaydar spot check with the rest of the cast. The show also has two gay male chefs, a first in its five seasons.

[Click any and all to enlarge.]

As for the rest of the ladies, no one is confirmed, but let's play along anyway. Hey, I’m not saying they are. I’m just saying, you know, wishful pinging. (And to repeat, they’re – probably – totally not gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with being – probably – totally not gay…)

Lauren: Um, the hat. (She’s married*, but still – the hat).Carla: Funky glasses and great hair. (But she is, also, married*).Jill: The chef’s jacket and crossed arms are throwing me off.Fine, so my chefdar sucks. But we'll always have our mmm, Padma, mmm. And now, with knee-high boots.

Pack your knives and tune in Nov. 12. This is going to be delicious.

*Yes, to fellas. Hey, they can't help it; they were born that way.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you once again Miss Snarker for being the bearer of such great news!

Unknown said...

Not to be bitchy, but when you say "married" I take it you mean "married to a man"? 'Cause, y'know, Ellen Degeneres is married too...

Lezlie Mac said...

I have to say, Anne m. Archibald, nice snarky one...Dorothy watch out!

Funky tattoos? I'm in. Yum. Even if the bright blue tights are throwing me off a bit... I can't watch for lack of time, but I'll voraciously be reading the recaps here.

Amanda said...

OMG she has sleeves?? Yes please

Amanda

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

This is so funny because Jamie pinged my gaydar, and now I know why! Plus, she shares my hatred for Rachel Ray. Heh. Bring on the new season! I can't wait to see what happens when Martha Stewart guest judges!

Anonymous said...

Padma

Big Shamu said...

What no Chefbian Couples this season? And no fauxhawks? I think that's a first. Now that the cast has been announced are the comparisons to past seasons about to begin?

Anonymous said...

So yesterday I am across the info about the new season of Top Chef and immediately I thought, what would Dorothy do?

So I stopped in my tracks and immediately checked out all the Padma pics...and then checked them out again.

Mmmm, Padma, mmmm.

And then I looked at the female chefs and read their bios to see if any...well, you know.

So it is good to know that even though there was no mention of any girlfriend in her bio...my gaydar does work...sometimes... well, every now and then.

Natazzz said...

I'll be watching...

ReneeG said...

YES YES YES!! I loooove me some Top Chef and I am so excited you announced this. And that Jamie Lauren looks irresistible, although I am with you on waiting to see what her personality is like, and if she's anything like Lisa, well, she didn't turn out to be so awesome. I can't wait for Season 5, and in NYC... totally awesomeness!!!!

Anonymous said...

I may just have to watch this season. Absinthe is one of my favorite restaurants...

Anonymous said...

wish Saskia Howard-Clarke and/or Sophie Howard could be on it
:-)

Anonymous said...

Stephanie Flanders

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/3094355.stm
http://www.marygreenham.co.uk/clients_stephanieflanders.php

makes economics sooooooooo interesting
:-)

Anonymous said...

For a Chef...Nigella Lawson - watch HER food program! :-)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLzkEog2nI&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ANHIYNC1QAo&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8jKRuAAB9lM&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uYGFJNZPrH0&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tIJUVEgbRKY&feature=related


and the beauty in the husky voice of her interviewer Mariella Fostrup
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cRCMpkdn83E
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OmPBxWMvdas
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lh-fqRtnXOM&feature=related

Brig said...

chefs are HOT
even more so..lesbian chefs..hello!!..i am one myself..
and im sorry..but it goes to show..if a woman is a exec chef..she has GOT to hav a lil gay in her..so all the chicks that make it thru to the end of this season...married or not...im sure..hav a lil gay in 'em

i <3-ed jen 'n zoe