Friday, October 24, 2008

My Weekend Crush

Look, I know. I know. I'm kind of obsessed. Check that, I'm totally obsessed. But, bear with me on this one. This is not just another crush on Tina Fey. I swear. I promise. Fine, it's a little bit of a crush on Tina Fey. But, really, it's a crush on her show, “30 Rock.” The entire show. All of it and everyone. “30 Rock” is quite simply the smartest, funniest, best-written 30 minutes on television today. That this show doesn't have better ratings is one of the mysteries of the universe that keeps me up at night. (That and where the other sock disappears to in the dryer...is there an alternate dimension composed solely of socks?)

The genius of “30 Rock” lies in its blending of the absurd and the everyday. Sure, not too many of us work behind the scenes on big-time TV shows, but we can all relate to its dysfunctional yet somehow familial (if you're lucky, that is) workplace. The relationship between mentors/foils/friends Jack and Liz, in particular, is sure to go down as one of the great comedic pairing of all time. But, really, it's the chemistry between the entire cast's seemingly disparate personalities that makes it sing. Without Alec Baldwin, without Tracy Morgan, without Jane Krakowski, without Jack McBrayer (and so on, and so on) the pieces wouldn't fit as perfectly. Plus, without Tracy I wouldn't be just one degree away from nirvana in my Six-Degrees of Tina Fey game. I met him a few years ago and he gave me a big hug. That dude is crazy, but in a nice way. (Also, is it just me or is Jane totally grabbing Tina's ass in this picture?)

With all the attention lavished on Tina of late, it seems the whole world has turned into Feynatics. Sure, those of us who have worshiped at the alter of Feyminism for years could scoff at all the Janey Come Latelys. But I'm much too happy that they're finally here to play my “I loved her first!”-card. So I dearly hope that this adulation turns into more eyeballs for “30 Rock.” This is a show that deserves an audience as big as its laughs. While the official third season premiere isn't until next Thursday, NBC and Hulu (and iTunes, if you get yourself a copy of TV Guide) have the episode available right now. Come on, it's Friday. Your boss is thinking about the 18th green anyway. Go ahead. Click play.

[Link expires Oct. 30, bummer, dude]

And if that wasn't enough to get you excited, in the second episode (airing Nov. 6) we get to see Tina in a full-on Princess Leia outfit. For the love of nerds, let it be the gold bikini. Happy weekend, all.

11 comments:

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Like me, DS, you are a trend-setter. People like us are always way beyond the event horizon of the curve ;) Loved the premier show for 30R!!! The last bit with the soap opera dialog was brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a TV watcher, but will start checking out 30 Rock beginning next Thursday, thanks to your tireless promotion!

Anonymous said...

?
somehow, thank you.
what's going on?

happy weekend ds.

Trihardist said...

It's got some stiff Thursday night competition, you know. Much of America is tuned in to The Office, or Grey's Anatomy. Not all of us have TiVo, you know :-)

Slym said...

TINA FEY! TINA FEY! YAY! YAY! YAY!

That's all I have to say. I Like the "I Liked Her First Card" mainly because I too can play it...lol

Happy weekend Ms. S.

You Rock!

Anonymous said...

I've discovered 30 rock last week and I must say that I'm totally addicted !
Can't help myself watching 1, 2, 3 episodes each day ...
I really like this show ! And actors are really really good !

I've just came back from my holidays in NYC and ... watching this, seeing them in the streets makes me feel as if I was still there :)

ReneeG said...

Embrace the obsession, Dorothy, embrace it! Do as I have done with Sandra Bullock and Olivia Wilde - don't fight the feeling!

Janet said...

I thought I was the only one with a
"manic obsessive" disorder. NO you can't have my disorder at least not the first one diagnosed -- and NO you can't have Ferrick.

She's mine.

And maybe a wee bit of Tina Fey thrown in or well there is Sienna Miller oh my....

eerrghhhhhhhhhhhh.

j.

Anonymous said...

I honestly do not get why people rave about this show. Sure, its biggest draw (Liz Lemon) is funny, appealing and yes, Fey is quite brilliant but the rest of the mish-mash of characters are too one dimensional, forced, obvious and unrealistic for me to really dig it. *shrugs*

Penny Cillin said...

30 Rock is freakin' ridiculous! Of course Tina is insanely hilarious, but I also love Alec Baldwin's dead pan humor and irony. So funny. If you want to get caught up before season 3 starts you can netflix season 1 and 2. Yea. And then have a 30 Rock catch-up-marathon. It's worth it to see Tina, laugh your ass off, and ponder the randomness of the enlarged framed photos of food on Liz Lemon's office wall.

Anonymous said...

I agree. For the life of me I will never understand why 30 Rock doesn't have higher ratings. Thursday night is just ridiculous as far as TV is concerned.

It is very smart and funny. The only thing I can think of is the absence of a laughtrack that so many seem to need.