Friday, August 02, 2024

My Weekend Crush

[Click to Embiggen the Femininomenons!]

I don’t mean to be a total homer, but can I just say, “U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!” Now, I apologize to our International Kittens. I actually root for everyone to do their best during the Olympics. But, admittedly, I can’t help feel a little righteous pride as we hit the half way mark on the 2024 Paris Games. Of the nine gold medals won by Team USA, seven of them are by female athletes or women’s teams.

In fact, no individual male US athlete has won a gold medal thus far*. Two USA men’s teams (men’s 4X100 freestyle swimming relay and men’s four rowing) have won gold, alongside the two USA female teams (women’s team foil fencing and women’s team gymnastics). Indeed so far the individual gold medal winners for Team USA are ALL women – Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky, Torri Huske, Kate Douglass and Lee Kiefer. It’s been awesome to watch and amazing to experience.

This is no shade on Team USA’s silver and bronze winners (which, should be noted, were also mostly female. In fact, USA men/men’s teams have only won 12 of our 37 medals so far).

Not to put too fine a point on this (and extrapolate any political prognastications, ahem), but something tells me this is NOT the year to bet against women. Talk about your Femininomenons! Happy Women of the Olympics weekend, all.

*This was written at end-of-day Thursday, so these numbers could have changed over the weekend. But, my point still stands. WOMEN!

No comments: