Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Loop De Parker

Sometimes I’ll be sitting around and randomly, I’ll think, “Gosh, I wonder what Mary-Louise Parker is up to?” Because, since her Showtime comedy “Weeds” went off the air a dozen years ago, she hadn’t had super steady work. (Yes, yes, I know she has shown up in things like “The Blacklist” and “Billions” and “Mr. Mercedes” etc.) But no real leading roles in major projects unless I missed them – which may well be by choice on her part. But, goodness, is that a shame for us.

So imagine my delight when I heard she was going to star in a new film with none other than critically adored and Ireland’s own (this is a joke) Ayo Edebiri. I first only had the budget line to dream about, which was: “A quantum physicist finds herself stuck in a time loop with a black hole growing in her chest and only a week to live.”

OK, dark – quite literally. But then the trailer was released and it’s both dark and funny and beautiful and tragic. In short, it’s the perfect Mary-Louise Parker movie. Think of it as “Groundhog Day for Physicists.” I also feel like this is gonna be a cryer. But, you know, a good kind of cry. Because time is relentlessly pursuing us all unless we all meet the inevitable. So might as well watch Mary-Louise and Ayo try to fight it with science. Also, did anyone else catch this little moment? Do you think in one of her lives she found her Idgie? Because I sure do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love low budget sci-fi and specially with such a strong cast

Carmen SanDiego said...

I’ll always see Mary-Louise Parker‘s name and think ‘Ruth’. Glad I’m not the only one