Thursday, March 30, 2023

Gaysian Excellence

So it has become, entirely unplanned, a bit of an Asian Excellence week here at Surrenders. First I rant about Kristen Kish’s new Disney+/NatGeo show being ignored by the marketing department, and now I’m all about the female Asian The Hangover, but with a more meaningful cultural foundation than a bunch of drunk white dudes at a bachelor party. It also stars freshly anointed Oscar nominee Stephanie Hsu, who did you know since EEAAO she has finished three other movies AND a TV series? Our gal be bizzzzy, and I’m here for it. Anway, back to the movie at hand. I’ve watched both the red band and green band trailers multiple times now and I’ve laughed ever.single.time. So, yeah, imma see this. And while it may appear most of the characters are aggressively straight (not that there’s anything wrong with that), the actor playing Cousin Deadeye is nonbinary comic Sabrina Wu. Also, Stephanie is maybepossiblyprobably queer of some sorts too, though honestly I can’t find any official coming out. But the literal OSCARS added her to the list “Pride Guide: 15 LGBTQ+ Filmmakers and Actors on The Rise” last summer. So, as I was saying, it’s Gaysian Excellence week. Respect.

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

I will definitely see this. Gave me Bridesmaids vibes.