Wednesday, March 22, 2023

But Can We Have More Cheerleaders

While this post is not Yellowjackets specific, it is Yellowjackets adjacent given the presence of Melanie Lynskey. She and Clea DuVall and Natasha Lyonne had a “But I’m a Cheerleader” reunion last month and it’s doing by Gen X lesbian heart so much good. I did my own journalisming and found out the women reunited at a W magazine shindig celebrating “2023 Greatest Performances Occasion” or some banal party excuse like that. Clea and Melanie look like they arrived together, which also does my heart good. Honestly, can we just start casting Melanie in more lesbian shows, because she seems to be the common thread when it comes to series with queer female leads surviving the Cancel Your Gays axe for a second season (basically “The Last of Us” and “Yellowjackets”), which given her characters on both those shows is fairly ironic and not Alanis-ironic. I’d love a “But I’m a Cheerleader” sequel where we see these grown up women now. I mean, if they can keep churning out endless adaptations of Batman, Superman and Spider-Man, they can at least give us one more movie about lesbian cheerleaders, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have to have RuPaul in it,too. They all run gay resort in Ptown. ?




Carmen San Diego said...

I saw “But I’m a Cheerleader” at the theater when it came out. I love this. Also, I’m old