Wednesday, March 01, 2023

This Woman's Worth

I guess it’s all my favorite actresses week here at Surrenders because now it’s time to talk about Kate Winslet’s next project. (First Jodie. Now Kate. Add the other Cate and it’d be a full house, or whatever poker hand has five Oscars.) Kate with a K will be playing Lee Miller, the acclaimed photojournalist and artist who was mostly (and unfairly) recognized as Man Ray’s muse. Never trust a patriarchy to correctly chronicle a woman’s worth or rightful place in history. Like, did you know Miller was a war correspondent for Vogue who documented the liberation of the Buchenwald and Dachau concentration camps, as well as other key World War II events across Europe? Because she did. I’ve been encouraged by what I’ve heard about the film so far, and obviously this first-look image shows Miller during her war correspondent years.

Kate has said of her role as Lee:

“To me, she was a life force to be reckoned with, so much more than an object of attention from famous men with whom she is associated. This photographer, writer, reporter, did everything she did with love, lust, and courage, and is an inspiration of what you can achieve, and what you can bear, if you dare to take life firmly by the hands and live it at full throttle.”
The film will also be the directorial debut of “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” cinematographer Ellen Kuras and will co-star Andy Samberg, Marion Cotillard and Alexander Skarsgard. Yeah, I know Andy Samberg is a bit of a head scratcher here, but look everyone loves a little shiny Oscar bait. On a personal note, I have a magnet of Lee Miller’s neck on my fridge, because I too am inspired by her like Man Ray. Gotta give that dude some credit, he had an eye for amazing women (who happen to make good magnets, and avatars, ahem).

3 comments:

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

Thanks for the heads (and neck) up.
I'll be keeping an eye out for this one, as I'm a big fan of the the C/Kates.
Cheers.

Carmen San Diego said...

I was just gonna say avatars ahahah

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just me but the TAR poster (the one that looks up Cate's torso and arms) reminds me of Man Ray's photo of Lee Miller's neck.