Tuesday, November 22, 2022

TV Review: TLW:GQ Season 3 So Far

Right, so maybe it was the two gummies I took. Or maybe I’m just getting soft in my advanced age. But, um, I rather enjoyed the first four episodes of the new season of “The L Word: Generation Q.” Like, don’t get me wrong, they gloss over a whole bunch of things to stutter time jump us forward a year. But then this ridiculous show does what this ridiculous show does best – is make us invest in these characters in spite of their actions and our better judgement.

So, yes, here we go betting sucked RIGHT BACK IN to TiBette despite it being basically settled law for the last 13 years now. But whatever, bam, we’re right back in it.

I think (and, again, it could have been the two gummies) what has made the new season more engaging so far is that instead of chasing whatever all-caps PLOT the show was determined to shoehorn into its seasons – be that breast cancer awareness or corporate culpability in the opioid epidemic (I know, when you write it out it’s still like whaaaaat, ok show, lol) or conservative crusades against artistic expression to addiction (to be fair, they’ve taken quite a few swings at this one, but they really went there with the hall pissing scene so there’s that) – they just let the stories happen.

Instead of all of whatever all that (point to previous paragraph)is , the relationships drive the plots and honestly it’s for the best. Granted because of our uneven investment in the various couples, some of those storylines have more impact than others. But I appreciate that the writers have, at least for now, allowed its stories to grow more organically.

[Spoilers for upcoming episodes]

And, besides some obvious stunt castings (Kehlani as Shane’s latest side chick is, well, good for Kate Moennig), the new season has brought some pleasant surprises with its guest stars so far. One, they’re having Alice date Joey Lauren Adams (who queer ladies of a certain age will no doubt have a soft spot for thanks to repeated watchings of “Chasing Amy” – don’t judge it was slim pickings back in the 90s), which is age appropriate casting at its finest. And two, they brought back Max (Daniel Sea), and acknowledged – even if a tad in passing – the shittiness of the original show’s trans storylines. What they made Max endure were truly, truly shameful. An on-screen apology is the least they could do, honestly.

Oh, and I hate – hatehatehatehate – the storyline they’re giving Angie. Hate it. HATE. But then, that’s what happens when this show decides they want to tackle an “issue” instead of just letting relationships make sense.

Oh, oh, and while I am complaining is this another show that has wasted Margaret Cho’s talents on a way too small part without much consequence? Shame bell, shame bell. (The other one was “Hacks,” so shame bells all around.)

So, how did everyone like the premiere? Hopes for the new season? Because I don’t get Showtime anymore, are they still releasing episodes each week? Do you want Pre-Ls? Or just an endless stream of TiBette caps? Can you believe we’ve been talking about “The L Word” together since before Twitter was even born? Did I mention I took two gummies before starting the new season? Because, yeah.

7 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

Since it may be the last season I would like pre-Ls and also post-Ls, if possible
The premiere was OK, I am pretty over TiBette but oh well, I guess that is where they are going, good for TiBetters…
Personally I am here for the OG‘s and also Gigi
And yes showtime is releasing an episode every week coming out Friday 9 PM Pacific time

Anonymous said...

Does Jennifer Beals really leave in episode 2?

Anonymous said...

Besides the first 2 episodes, will TiBette be present in other episodes?

feromoon said...

Dear Dottie,
What? You don't have showtime anymore?
Then I will save your day by sending you a link of every episode for you to watch, so you can tell in your own original misanthropic way.
We know each other pre twitter by our online contact( I guess you've emailed me once, haha) but my undying love for you still stands.

Goodness, I just finished reading your post and you already have seen the first four episodes.
I guess it won't make any sense then sending the episodes to you.

This comment probably is filled with lots of grammar mistakes, but I don't care. I bet you will understand the good intentions anyway.

I hope you get your personal life in order darraling Dottie. We all do love you verymuch and are in need of what's inside your head.

Love always from Feromoon

Anonymous said...

Please bring back your pre L's at least for the first four episodes, you were so good with it in the original run of TLW and I enjoyed them.

Anonymous said...

All things considered, "talking about “The L Word” together since before Twitter was even born" sums up the series — its "longevity," even "legacy" no matter how niche, or its undeniable embedding into TV history (in the US and elsewhere) despite it sorely lacking in recognition — the most.

Should you decide to do the pre/post L's would be golden as it had been thoroughly enjoyable as commenter said. Thanks for the read as always.
- PHAnon

PS. I've read Feromoon's posts before in various Internet places I can't remember and it's great to see a comment :D Yes, TLW has been around that long.

Anonymous said...

So Far?, There's only been two episodes of the same lame-ass lesbian dysfunction, and maybe it's just me but it's pretty expected that Tina would take Bette back YET again. Y? At this point I stopped caring, because whenever the the writers can't find any suitable fan fiction to steal thy regurgitate the same 'ol bullsh!t.