Saturday, April 30, 2022

My Weekend Crush (It’s You, You’re the Crush)

There’s a lot not to like about this world. War. Poverty. Racism. Sexism. Homophobia. Transphobia. So much inequality. All concepts we tiny humans invented on our very own, and continue to foster despite the best efforts of those fighting for equality.

These days it seems very much like only the billionaires will inherit the earth.

But, despite the sinking feeling that we’re all just faceless serfs making a new breed of oligarchs somehow even richer (like, I have $44 billion lying around to buy a tech platform that’s been annoying me rich), some things still matter. How we treat other people. Who we include. What we do to help one another.

I’ve always tried, in my own very humble and very small way, to create a place for joy and solidarity here. I don’t always get things right, not by a long shot. But I do hope this lil old blog brings people together and makes them at least a tiny bit happier each day. I guess, in the end, my goal has always been for people to feel a little less lonely. Less alone. I know you’ve done that for me.

So if you’re a queer pop culture fanatic (or anything along the alphabet spectrum or even, you know, straight) who also loves a women in a tank top (in a respectful way, ahem), well, you’ve found your people. Also, if you like the occasional foray into progressive, feminist and global politics, well, grab a comfy chair, we have been waiting for you.

I guess I’ve just been thinking about the world a lot recently (Elon isn’t the only one having some kind of public midlife crisis, I guess). And I suppose you could sum up my worldview as trying to do the most good, for the most people, most of the time. Obviously, this isn’t always possible. And, sometimes we do seemingly selfish things because we also need moments that are just for ourselves. That’s just part of being human, too. But to do the most good for the most people most of the time, yeah, that’s the goal.

So, anyway, maybe this is just a incredibly rambly way of saying thank you for all of the blogiversary love last weekend. You have ever so kindly donated enough to buy that new laptop (when it goes on sale, because I am also a prudent steward of your hard-earned cash). I am very excited and also a teeny bit grumpy about having to learn a new machine because, again, I have mentioned I’m old right? Mostly 16 years of doing this makes you think. I hope this little space made a dent in all the noise for some of you. And I thank you for staying with me across all the these various vibe shifts or whatever the youngs are calling it now. At least we’re still crazy (dreamers) after all these years together.

Also, tax the fucking rich.

Happy weekend, all.

2 comments:

fridax said...

After all these years, still on it, trying to do your bit despite all the craziness in the world!

Thank you for that, DS, and happy belated blogiversary.

PS: That mid-life crisis is sneaking up on me, too. UGH, what to do :D

Carmen San Diego said...

Glad you’re getting that new laptop, DS! You deserve new shiny things