Thursday, April 21, 2022

Friendly Conversation Partners

Now, I acknowledge that this might a messier kind of “Yay Gay” experience. But, honestly, I can’t be for certain because I haven’t read the book. Based on Sally Rooney’s novel “Conversations with Friends,” the movie by the same name is about a complicated threesome/thruple/love triangle or possible trapezoid situation between two twentysomething female best friends/former lovers and a thirtysomething married male and female couple. The trailer for the new Hulu series focuses heavily on Frances who has an affair with the husband — which I guess makes sense since apparently she’s the narrator of the book. But clearly I’m more interested in the other friend, played by Sasha Lane who also starred in the queer teen drama “The Miseducation of Cameron Post.” Like, I certainly hope they give her “conversations” with the wife played by Jemima Kirke the same kind of screentime. Anyway, being in love/lust in your 20s is the worst because everything feels like the end of the world, but hopefully this show will be more than just a cringey reminder of messy desires of our past selves. But, like I said, I haven’t ready the book.

No comments: