Monday, April 18, 2022

Music Monday: Syd’s “Fast Car”

After a week of airing our extremely legitimate grievances at a queer story told badly, how about we share a week of good queer news. Or, at least queer stories with considerable potential. Today we start with a “Fast Car” for a new generation. Out lesbian musician Syd released her second album, “Broken Hearts Club,” and its single “Fast Car” is what I believe the kids today call “a vibe.” While Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car” was a hardscrabble love letter to fading possibilities, Syd’s “Fast Car” is an intentionally seductive ode to queer joy. The more I listen to it, the more I love it. And its Thelma & Louise meets Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ending delights me anew each time. After reading some glowing reviews of her full album, you’d better believe I’ll be checking out more of Syd. Happy Monday, kittens.

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

So glad that Syd left Odd Future and Tyler the Creator behind