Wednesday, September 21, 2011

TV, take me away

Right, so I’m watching a lot of TV this season. Fine, I watch a lot of TV every season. But this season I’m watching it with slightly more productive intentions. As I’ve already mentioned, I’m going to be writing SnapCaps (short, snappy recaps) on AfterEllen for “Lost Girl.” The second one went up yesterday. In addition, I’ll be SnapCapping “Ringer” (second one is up today) and “Prime Suspect” (it airs Thursdays, Snap Caps will post Fridays). That’s a lot of writing about TV. It’s tricky writing about new shows because, well, they’re new and as we’re trying to figure them out they’re trying to figure themselves out. So, to summarize, I’m a busy girl sitting on my couch, per usual.

Of course, this being the new TV season, I’m also trying out a lot of show I’m not writing about either. So far I’ve sampled three other new shows: “The Secret Circle” (“The Craft,” but with less goth accessories), “2 Broke Girls” (I laughed more than I expected to, in spite of myself) and “New Girl” (Let’s face it, Zooey Deschanel is the draw here, I could give a flip about her three male roommates). I am on the fence about “Up All Night,” because while I love the cast another show about parenting being crazy really is not on this gal’s big gay agenda. And the reviews of “Charlie’s Angels” are worse than the reviews of “Bionic Woman,” and we all know how well that show went. I’ve also decided against “The Playboy Club” (even with the real and the pretend gay bunnies) and “Pan Am” because even if you put it in a nice 60s suit and beautiful retro dress, sexism isn’t really my favorite thing to watch on TV. (p.s. On that note, I’m glad to hear the makers of “Prime Suspect” have decided to veers away from the blatant sexism in the pilot after this week.) There are a handful of other shows I’m considering adding to my dance card, but considering the returning shows I already watch, that’s a really freaking full dance card.

I guess all of this is a long and somewhat winded (though mostly because I’m out of shape from sitting on my couch and watching all this TV) way of saying I hope you’ll watch TV along with me this season and share your thoughts on all the shows I’ll both be SnapCapping and any other shows that catch your eye. But just because it’s a new season don’t think for a second I’ve forgotten about old friends. Yes, kittens, I miss Jane and Maura, too. But don’t worry. They’ll be back for five more in November. Until then, please enjoy Det. Rizzoli’s new (and very NSFW) ringtone for Dr. Isles.



EDIT: Every once in a while, actual comments get caught in the automatic Blogger spam filter. This usually happens with comments that contain dirty words or are really long. I hardly check the filter, because frankly I forget it is there. But, rest assured, I do not delete any comments (save for obvious spam or blatant hate speech). Also, this post is about scripted shows. Though I did watch DWTS and commented on it quite a bit on my Twitter feed. So follow me there for my thoughts on DWTS.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Yes XD

Carmen SanDiego said...

I'll be more than happy to watch TV along with you, Dorothy

Anonymous said...

ok, ok, i am can't get into the whole vapire-goth genre so I give you this but I wonder if you should pvr Dancing with the Stars-- spoiler alert! After the first two episodes, I am impress. I must say after all the controversy it has been a rainbow delight of positive attitudes with all the queerness this season. Chaz of course was the big news but I think that the normalness of the way they explained the sex change and the use of the him pronoun was great. It was really incredible to see this on tv and made me teary to think that it could be so normal. His partner Lacy was super and has the perfect personality to contrast Chaz's shyness. And Chaz was totally embraced by the cast. There was such support. And Carsen with his campy queerness was also a delight that was supported. Never mind Hope Solo, the soccer goalie with those arms and her back! Wow! I know, I know, no "real" lesbians but some breakthrough queerness on tv. The support of the cast when Chaz made it through to the next week was amazing. It was Glee but "real" life! And it really showed a visability to the "uncomfortable" queer that rarely gets tv characterization: we're not all L-word Lesbians and Dapper Sexy model men.

I recommend it but do know that you may want to ffwd some of it!

Norma Desmond said...

Video = priceless.

JJ said...

2 Broke Girls was way funnier than I anticipated.

I will say, I'm sorry to hear you're passing on The Playboy Club. I DVR'd it, thinking it would likely be something I hated, but was willing to give it a go, and now have to admit to loving.

But... I will watch along with you!

Ang715 said...

LOVED the ringtone!!

Jessel Duque said...

"Pocketful of Sunshine" just started playing in my head after reading your blog post title. Take me away to a secret place, TV. Hehe.

aperture8 said...

Anonymous #2:
I am glad that you wrote about DWTS, and Chaz and Carsen (and Hope [yeah, she's hot ]). Dorothy, I am surprised that you haven't mentioned Chaz in relations to this season's Dancing with the Stars. I feel that no matter what one feels about that show, Chaz Bono, or transgendered people, Chaz should be supported for being willing to speak out publicly and face the hostility, hatred, prejudice, meanness, bullying and intolerance that he is facing. Just today, I read about a 14 year old boy, Jamey Rodemeyer, that committed suicide three days ago despite having posted a video as part of the "It Gets Better Project."

I think that if one truly wants to support the anti LGBTTQQ bullying movement, then one ought to at least acknowledge Chaz's (and Carsen's) presence on DTWTS. Yes, I know that they are men and not lesbians, and therefore do not fit the parameters of what you tend to blog about, but shouldn't we raise our voices to say that we are not going to let him face the bullying alone? (Haven't we all experienced some sort of intolerance and known how it hurts?) And how many openly LGBTTQQ contestants have there been throughout the many years of reality T.V.? Margaret Cho, Chaz, and Carsen on DWTS, Pedro Zamora on "The Real World," Dani on Tila Tequila's "show," various people on the various incarnations of "Survivor," "The Real World," and "The Big Brother?" I know that there are many contestants that have come out after the finale aired, but that doesn't have the same impact as being out while the show is on the air, in my opinion. I actually don't watch reality T.V.; it's not my thing, but I _am_ following the internet articles and comments about Chaz, and I am reminded of how Pedro's presence on TRW opened the door to several newsmagazine articles/commentaries and talk show etc. discussions that were revolutionary for the mainstream press at that time. I see the same thing happening again with Chaz (good). I really think that there ought to be a post about Chaz here; who knows how many people it might help and/or affect? But it is your site, so do as you see fit (smile).

aperture8 said...

Wow. I just submitted a comment that posted at 11:04 pm and it is no longer here. I've been reading your blog daily for at least three years and have posted comments before. Why did this one disappear?


Signed,
aperture8

aperture8 said...

Okay, that is weird. It is back again. I _did_ wait at least ten minutes and I refreshed my browser at least 4 or 5 times before posting the 11:41 pm comment. Anyway, I am glad to see that the first comment is back (the 11:04 one). (Does anyone know what might have happened?)

aperture8 said...

Ah, I just now saw your edited comment at the bottom of your original post. Thank you for explaining what happened; I appreciate that! :-)

Yes, it was long, but I didn't think that it was offensive! (smile)

Per your response, I'll hop on over to your twitter feed when I can-- I cannot access Twitter on my mobile phone anymore. (And I will research the difference between "scripted shows" and "reality shows."

Thanks again, and cheers!

Signed,
~aperture8

aperture8 said...

Oh, now I understand your "Also, this post is about scripted shows" comment. I misunderstood and thought that you were referring to my comment (which was as long as a post) but you were talking about your post being about scripted shows. Duh! (face palm)

Okay, I'll be quiet now. (Slinking away, embarrassed)

Anonymous said...

'The Secret Circle' is so full of lesbian goodness!! Remember that time when Faye made magic and got everyone wet?

Anyways I love the Snapcaps!! Although I do wish there were more summaries of funny/lesbianish highlights rather than a general summary of the whole episode.

Ginny said...

Same as a previous commenter, I didn't expect to like the Playboy Club, watched only cos I was craving new TV, but I loved it! It's my favorite pilot so far. Then, Ringer I found pretty good, 2 Broke Girls made me laugh and has potential I think, New Girl will be given another chance although I did find it a bit clunky, and the Secret Circle I found pretty lame/cliché. Guess I'm not a teen anymore! ^^

vrgriffith said...

I'm committed to watching Lost Girl and R&I.Will tune into Prime Suspect but you know, I watched the original w/ Helen Mirren.I skeptical abt what "new" ground the writers will cover.The fact that the writers were trying to explore sexism in 2011, would lead one to believe they have a lack of imagination.Sigh!

Will check out 2 Broke Girls.

Collins said...

so far, my favorite "new" show is free agents. comes on after up all night and is WAY funnier. not anything particularly gay about it...although kathryn hahn is still smoking hot, even post crossing jordan. and having anthony head back on my TV makes me feel like imagine me & you and buffy are still present in my life, even if it is only a little bit.

Anonymous said...

omg. that last clip was just brilliant

Anonymous said...

Re: Up All Night--THANK you, Ms Snarker! After all the "greatest comedy evah!" hype, last week's ep made me realize I could safely cancel my season pass. Just another boring breeder couple with concerns not my own ... Oh well, more disk space for back episodes of Lost Girl!