Monday, September 19, 2011

Muppet Monday

Why are there so many songs about rainbows? Because rainbows are fucking awesome, that’s why. Now, when I first heard they were making a new Muppet movie, I was skeptical. Messing with beloved childhood memories is always a tricky proposition. But then I heard that Jason Segel was behind the project and I was really, really skeptical. Keep in mind, this news came out the same year as “Saving Forgetting Sarah Marshall.” So pretty much I knew him as that guy whose junk I saw way too much of. But, mostly, it was the beloved childhood memory thing. I cried the day Jim Henson died, I really did.

So then, as the movie developed, I was anxious to see what direction they’d go. The first trailer was perfectly charming. And now, well, their new parody trailer “The Pig with the Froggy Tattoo” has totally won me over. You had me at “Wocka. Wocka,” new Muppet movie.


The new Muppet movie also comes with a brand new Muppet album, which makes sense because music was such a big part of the original movies and show. NPR streamed the whole album last month. (Sadly, the stream is now over.) But, you can hear the very new, very different Muppet theme song by OK GO. When I first heard it, I hated it. Then it grew on me and I kind of dug it. Then I watched the video and I was a little “Nope, hipster nonsense.”

So, judge for yourself. I actually don’t mind the crunky synth wheeze of the new song. But for some reason when paired with the video it’s just not working for me anymore. I think it’s because the dude with the cap and beard looks more Muppety than the actual Muppets.


And, well, it is hard to improve upon something as flat-out sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetationalas this.


OK, new Muppet movie. I’m going to give you a try. Just don’t go breaking my heart. I already have “The Rainbow Connection” to do that. Talk amongst yourselves, kittens. I’ll just be sitting on this log, reliving my childhood until the new movie comes out.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Jason Segel is legitimately an enormous Muppet lover and respects Jim Henson and his vision, perhaps more so than any other Hollywood person. I actually was glad to hear he was at the helm, because I think he'll make sure the project has integrity and stays true to Henson's vision. Here's hoping anyway.

LizC said...

I don't think he was trying to save Sarah Marshall in the movie, as much as 'Forget' her?

vrgriffith said...

Fingers crossed.

Michael M. Jones said...

That trailer = awesome.
The movie = looking to be triple awesome. Everytime I see and hear more, I get more excited for what looks to be an honestly appreciative comeback of another piece of my childhood.

Thanks to you, I just watched various versions of the Muppet Show opening themes about ten times in a row. It never gets old. Apparently, it's Season 5 which I most identify with. Makes sense, I'd have been about 6 or 7 by that point, and just old enough to start appreciating the show.

I agree with you that, well, the OK Go version of the theme just doesn't really work for me. It's three times longer than it needs to be, and the ending joke goes on way too long. I'd say that the only songs from the Green Album which really worked for me were Mahna Mahna, Wishing Song, Night Life, and Moving Right Along.

SO looking forward to this movie.

Amanda said...

Yeah, they completely decimated the whole harmonic structure of the original theme. Fail.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Stealing my heart yet again, Ms, Snarker, with "The Rainbow Connection." If you ever have some extra room on that log, I'd love to sit and listen with you.

Ang715 said...

The comment about stealing my heart is not anonymous. Don't know why it came up that way. If you ever have room on that log, I want you to know who to invite.

Alice said...

new muppets movie? interesting... not sure if i wanna know b/c the few good childhood memories I have I remember watching the muppets :p

Gwynne said...

My wife and I waltzed to Rainbow Connection at our wedding. One of my favorite songs. Ever.