Tuesday, April 05, 2011

That's Ms. Bossypants to you

Happy Bossypants Day! Tina Fey’s book goes on sale today and if you aren’t currently jogging toward a bookstore as we speak I will consider it a personal affront to my Fake TV Wife and you will never be invited over for a fake dinner on a fake double date with your Fake TV Wife, Sara Ramirez. So there. But, seriously folks, I feel oddly proud about her book launch today. (Which, I am fully aware, is in no way my accomplishment. I’m delusional, but not that delusional.) Mostly I’m happy that in a world that so often questions, judges, challenges, restricts, belittles and ignores women that such a smart, capable, independent woman has been able to reach this level of success. It’s not that the world is lacking Tina Feys. There are smart, capable, independent women all over the place. It’s that our society stubbornly refuses to look at them through the lens of just their abilities. It’s always couched in gender. And, don’t get me wrong, I understand there are inherent differences between the genders. Hello, clearly. But when people chastise and even ridicule President Obama for relying on council from his female advisers on how to act in Libya, you know we our opinions aren’t being placed on anywhere near the same playing field as the menfolk. So, today, in honor of Tina’s book, let’s all allow our inner Bossypants to run free. Let’s be (or continue to be, as hopefully is the case) bossy and unapologetic and powerful. Let us never be afraid to be the smartest person in the room. In fact, let’s work hard to make sure everybody knows it.

And, on that note, please enjoy Tina Fey telling everyone how much better she is than Helen Mirren.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im not sure what you mean by "I understand there are inherent differences between the genders. Hello, clearly." as gender is just the socially constructed roles applied on people based on their sex.
If you're not just stating the obvious but are talking about differences between the sexes I totally disagree. Im not saying there definitely aren't any, but since there's no evidence that sex differences are inherent rather than learned, and mistakenly believing they're inherent causes alot more harm than mistakenly believing they're learned, it's better to assume they're learned.

gender doc said...

with due respect to Anonymous, the differences between genders are more than learned. Physical, biological differences are fact, and not debatable.

Amanda said...

Sexual scripting is real. ^^

Anyways, love the cover. I laughed hard when I realized it was a dude's hand.

Amanda

Kathryn said...

TF's recent essay in The New Yorker, about motherhood and her career, was a great read: a fresh and unique take on a much-discussed issue.

Norma Desmond aka CelluloidTears said...

Fake double date with my fake TV wife, Sara Ramirez? Huh... Seems I've been invited on that double date before... ;)

That said, apparently, I will have to take a raincheck for that double date, as I am planning on buying your fake TV wife's book today. Next time, can she have her book come out in a month when I am NOT buying books for grad classes? Thanks.

Norma Desmond aka CelluloidTears said...

am *NOT buying her book today. Comment fail.

Anonymous said...

Get the audio book. Too fun. 5 hours of Fey voice.

iluvceleb said...

I love Tina Fey. I heard that she is pregnant, well congratulations to her..

Euphemia said...

Wow, there is really much worthwhile info here!