Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Pop Stays Gay

I hope everyone enjoyed the glorious gay pop of Chappell Roan from earlier this week. And while I will refrain from entering the fray on “Gay Pop”-gate (oh, JoJo), I will remind everyone how important it is to keep LGBTQ+ history alive. Granted, I don’t expect our schools to start teaching about Tegan & Sara and Boy George and Dusty Springfield. But not knowing one’s history is how community becomes erased, how struggle is diminished and how hard-fought rights can be lost. Instead, let’s all strive to appreciate the evolution of queer pop and how we’ve gone from the pronoun hiding of yesteryears to out, open lyrics about gay girls getting an amen. That’s something to celebrate. So, yes, the uninformed (willfully or otherwise) who will always think they’re somehow reinventing the wheel. The rest of us will continue to enjoy the artform as it grows and progresses. And, of course, it doesn’t hurt to look back and remember some classics. I know “Son of a Preacher Man” is catchier, but we all know Dusty would be just as happy with the daughter – probably a lot happier. What, it's Hump Day. Anyway, carry on gay poppers. Carry on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Dusty Springfield. There have been rumors of a biopic for a long time. The latest is that a movie might start shooting next year and the search for the starring role is underway. As I watched the video you embedded in your post, I thought -- Jodie Comer. Please see what you can do to make that happen, Ms. Snarker.