Friday, April 26, 2024

My Weekend Crush

I can’t help it. I just feel so great for Jodie Foster these days. To survive child stardom to become one of the most respected actors/creatives in the industry AND achieve such well-deserved personal happiness? Well, you just love to see it. This month Jodie and her wife, Alexandra Hedison, celebrated their 10-year (!!) anniversary at the two-time Oscar winner’s handprint/footprint ceremony at Hollywood’s famed Chinese Theatre. And, truly, I can’t think of a better star to wrap Lesbian Visibility Week up with than Jodie.

I think all of us here have watched her from her teenage years to now. We loved her when we knew she was family, but wasn’t out. We love her now that she’s out. I think it’s because we as a community have always struggled to find elder role models. Not that there aren’t legions of older LGBTQ+ folks out there. But, we just haven’t had as many high profile examples who can serve to inspire future generations.

Knowing LGBTQ+ history means recognizing and celebrating those who came before and fought the battles so future generations can have life, hopefully, just a little bit easier. Because if you aren’t working to make life better for the people who come after us, what even is the point? So congratulations, Jodie. Couldn’t have happened to a more talented gay lady. And, on a personal note, her 10-year anniversary with Alexandra at age 61 gives me hope. I’m turning a rather round number soon, and it’s nice to know what goals are still attainable. In Jodie’s case, it seems all of them still are. And, as I was saying, you love to see it. Happy weekend, all.

2 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

Jodie is a fave for sure

Panty Buns said...

THANK YOU for this uplifting post noting Jodie Foster's 10 year anniversary with Alexandra Hedison!
I have always loved watching Jodie on the big screen,
and now I will love seeing (and hopefully watching) her more than ever!
Thanks again Dorothy!