Wednesday, February 15, 2023

That Girl is Super

Dammit, dammit, dammit. I am going to have to find a way to watch stupid “The Flash” movie after all. Not for that abusive POS Ezra Miller (who, oh goodie, we get double of in the movie). But for Supergirl. Specifically angry, short-haired brunette Supergirl as played by Sasha Calle. Like, hello.

Given how indescribably awful most of the DCEU has been (except for its two female-directed franchises - “Wonder Woman” from Patty Jenkins and “Birds of Prey” from Cathy Yan), I actually am pretty sure I don’t need to actually watch the movie. Hopefully some lesbian somewhere will make a supercut of all the Supergirl (and, if that’s your thing, Michael Keaton as Batman) so we can enjoy it without supporting an abuser. Please, I’m begging someone to do it for the (lesbian) culture.

Now, I’ve always loved Superman. And one of my favorite early cinematic memories was going to see the first Supergirl movie in the theaters. I had a bit of an unrealized crush on Helen Slater (“The Legend of Billie Jean” was clearly a universal root for many a Gen Z baby dykes). I remember when we were leaving the theater after “Supergirl,” that I accidentally bumped the armrest causing it to fall off the chair. And my dad joked, “Look out, another Supergirl with super strength!” or something like that. And I felt like a superhero the rest of the day. It was a good day.

So, I have no idea what this new Supergirl will bring. I mean, I like the previews we have of her yelling and shooting eye lasers while sporting an alternative lifestyle haircut. And you know I support that. So rage on, Supergirl. If only the movie was about you, and not the guy who just runs really fast and also abuses people.

2 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

Ugh… I wonder how my friends from the bay are doing. You know, that bay.. yo ho and a bottle of rum
Because I cannot miss alternative lifestyle haircut Supergirl

nothing happening said...

When does supergirl get to be superwoman?