Monday, January 16, 2023

Music Monday: Sara & Brandi Edition

I’ve wanted to go to Brandi Carlile’s annual Girls Just Wanna Weekend event since she started them back in 2018. I made it a goal last year to get tickets to the music festival at some point in the near future. The all-inclusive Mexican getaways always seemed like a more music-oriented, less party hardy Dinah Shore. But their hefty price tag and now lack of a dedicated traveling companion have put a pause on those plans for now. But at least we can enjoy this year’s fruits from afar, like this duet between Brandi and Sara Bareillis on her beautiful “She Used to be Mine.” This song stirs up such fierce emotions each time I hear it, and in Sara and Brandi’s hands it’s nothing short of a masterpiece. I listened to it half a dozen times in a row, which let me warn you in advance will eventually make you sob in your living room. Or maybe just me. Life is what happens when we’re making other plans. But, no matter how late, there’s still time to rewrite an ending or two for all of us. Happy Monday, kittens.

3 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

I was not aware of the Girls Just Wanna Weekend but now I want to go too. Let me know if you need a travel companion DS

Anonymous said...

I was there for the first time. Every single thing about this is week is incredible. Almost no need for travel companion as Bramily is a welcoming group. But I get it. The video of Sara and Brandi does not even come close to doing it justice (and it's pretty damn good) - there were men and women around us openly weeping by the end...it will rank up there with favorite musical moments.

Anonymous said...

This song, this song, this song….

Sara’s musical featuring this was one of my first post lockdown excursions (mine was more lengthy than most due to my country/city and my health) and this is MY song; and even though the singer could never reach this unbelievable level I have never sobbed in a theatre like that.

Yeah anyway, I get it, here’s to new endings and thanks for sharing