Monday, February 17, 2014

Another Ellen

For all those wondering if coming out still mattered, let me answer that with three simple words. It fucking matters. And Ellen Page coming out on Valentine’s Day fucking matters. Not only was it a love note to LGBT people everywhere, but it was a reminder of the power of three other simple words: I am gay.

Sure, most of us already knew. Or strongly suspected. Or hoped. But the power of Ellen telling the world she is gay, of anyone telling the world cannot be denied. It fucking matters. Each time another person comes out, I feel the rush of camaraderie that only comes from being part of a group that claims it's own identity. I feel it, some questioning kid in a tiny town in Kansas (Jesus, fuck, Kansas) hears it, and LGBT people all over the world feel it.

I kind of love how you can tell she is nervous when she starts her speech. The import of it. She knows it fucking matters. And she makes the most of her platform with a beautiful, eloquent and powerful speech. So many of us know what it means to lie by omission, to hide and suffer. But like Ellen, we can come out the other side. Damn, it was a good Valentine’s Day to be gay. Now, the line form behind me to hug Ellen with our legs in friendship.

p.s Never mind the winter of our discontent. With all the recent folks coming out (football star Michael Sam, Chicago Fire star Monica Raymund and England soccer captain Casey Stoney), we should call this the winter of our discloseting.

6 comments:

Kristan said...

Thank you for posting the vid of the whole thing. I read the speech, but I've been wanting to see her delivery of it. The emotion in her voice is so moving. You can tell she's feeling vulnerable, and speaking from such a genuine place. Definitely brought tears to my eyes.

Void Singer said...

Congrats kiddo, welcome to freedom.

Anonymous said...

When I first saw this I immediately thought of you and all your Ellen Page posts.

Carmen SanDiego said...

Welcome home, Ellen

Alisa said...

It really matters. I would have died and went to heaven if I had been younger. When I was young I knew hardly any young girls like me. I had hardly anyone I could relate to. I'm glad things have changed.

Anonymous said...

i thought she was confident and matured, did believe she would choose to lie about it. but then i was wrong.