Friday, February 28, 2014

My Weekend Crush

Sometimes, out of seemingly nowhere, I remember this “My So-Called Life” scene. It’s such a simple scene on its surface – a rehearsal of a high school production of “Our Town.” But it contains multitudes. And, as with so much in life, it’s what we don’t see that makes this so very powerful.

The set-up – Angela and her best friend Rayanne have stopped being friends because the latter slept with the former’s ex-boyfriend – is remarkably pedestrian. Female friendships torn asunder over a boy. Nothing revolutionary about seeing that on television. But it is the execution that never fails to bring a lump to my throat. I wondered why this particular scene sprung to mind so vividly the other day. And I think it is because I’ve been watching “Girls.” The past few episodes have dealt with the ways young women support and alternately let each other down in the most mundane ways. But when played for more than the lazy catfight, the way it feels when women break each other’s hearts and how – if we’re very lucky we heal them again – is unmistakably riveting. That’s all human beings are. Just blind people.

Right, so I think my subconscious is telling me it’s time to marathon “My So-Called Life” again. Happy weekend, all.

7 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

That was such a brilliant show
And boy, does it hurt to have your best friend break your heart

Anonymous said...

Very powerful scene. I have also been watching Girls. Women more so than men do these types of things to each other. What ever happened to the actress who played Rayann? I haven't seen much of her since.

Anonymous said...

Angela had a pretty awesome dad!

egghead said...

I just LOVE Carrie Mathison. I have completely forgotten SOCALLED LIFE it's been so long ago! Boy howdy there is nothing like that kind of quality anymore. Binge weekend here I come.

TheWeyrd1 said...

Such a great show...and way before it's time...

fishing rod case said...

Thanks for this show share.i like this show.this show is very well.

Unknown said...

This is a awesome show. Carry on. See you next time. Thanks.

Outsourcing Park