Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Jodie and the snake, err, Jay

So, what the hell is up with Jay Leno lately? While I’ve barely tolerated him as the Tonight Show host all these years, it seems recently The Chin has been particularly insufferable. Last night Jodie Foster was his guest and he made her, I am not kidding, touch his snake. Fine, he meant that literally and not as a euphemism. I think. Seems he “researched” her before her appearance and found out she has ophidiophobia or -- put simply -- is scared shitless by snakes. So what does he do? He bring a bag out from under his desk, unties it and pulls out -- yes -- a snake. WTF? What is this, face-your-fears day on Maury Povich? Even if he told her about it beforehand (which I doubt he did given her genuinely freaked reaction), that is not cool. Jodie, of course, handled it with aplomb not to mention great humor: “It’s like a cowboy boot.” Snicker.

Now I bring up Jay and his “research” because the last time he “researched” a guest it was Ryan Phillippe last month. He discovered the actor played the first gay teenager on daytime TV (on the soap “One Life to Live”). This tidbit was endlessly amusing to Jay who went on to demand that Ryan pretend the camera was his gay lover and give it his “gayest look.” Ryan refused, bless his heart. Anyway, the fine folks at Shakesville helped start the site My Gayest Look, a collection of one-fingered (sometimes two, for emphasis) salutes to show Leno exactly what a “gayest look” looks like. Yeah, it’s pretty awesome. When you get a chance behold the bird-flipping wonder of it all.

Anyway, back to Jodie. She looked Tony-the-Tigeresque grrrreat! While promoting “Nim’s Island,” she talked about beating her sons at Guitar Hero. Her rock star face was particularly priceless.

See her full Tonight Show interview here: Part I and Part II. God, I love that woman’s voice.

UPDATE: Lord, I had a lot of typos in this one. Geez, you’d think I was drunk when I wrote it (to which I totally pleading the Fifth). But what I really wanted to update was that Jay has issued a brief apology for being such an utter asshat about the “gayest look.” Read it here. Whatever, dude is still a tool.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay Leno is a tool

Anonymous said...

Jodie has long been among my select list of favorite actresses. While she tends to have played a great deal of similar roles throughout her career she always brings 100% to those roles.
I'm really looking forward to Nim's Island which just looks like it'll be one of those really great family/action-adventure type movies.
I wish Jay Leno would get over this tired schtick that he has going on.
I hope that Jodie will make an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show to promote Nim's Island (she hasn't yet, has she?)... I'd love to see her back on Ellen, the last time she was on was quite good!

Anonymous said...

Jodie's class. Leno's an ass. 'nuff said.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't seem like Jodie will be stopping by Ellen which is just wrong. I think it's illegal actually.

TheWeyrd1 said...

I don't watch Jay Leno usually. Well, because sometimes I'm more interested in something of substance like on "Nightline". But I did watch last night for Jodie...HOT! I did notice that she had a bit of challenge deciding what to do with her very nice legs, what with wearing that lovely little black dress. Hee. And after that I changed the channel to BSG. Yeah, not so much on real substance compared to "Nightline", but substantially more than Jay.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for putting up the entire interview! Wasn't near the television last night and wasn't aware Jodie was going to be on Leno...so I do absolutely appreciate being able to watch it now. I loved her "Paddington action" reference! lol :)

Sue J said...

He's a tool and a fool.

Amanda said...

Oh my god... she played trumpet. I know there was a reason why I loved her so much growing up. Love her

Amanda

Lezlie Mac said...

M.Leno is an ass. My gayest look to you.

Despite the snake, Jodie is as fantabulous as ever, and keeps on reminding me that you can:

be over 40 and sizzling hot
be a geek (guitar hero anyone?) and sizzling hot
be a real smartass (little light bulb to you, Jay?)and sizzling hot
AND funny as hell and smashingly hot : "Nobody ever applaudes me at home..."

That's because you don't have US in your living room...

Hat tip DS, as always!

Big Shamu said...

Jodie Foster AND you worked her dress into a Silent Tank Top Tuesday.
Clever minx!

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

I'd give Leno a 'gay look' but he'd probably see it as a come on.
Total asshat and why I watch Letterman.

Anonymous said...

jodie is a great actress but her films are bad since so many years...the brave one is an awful movie and her acting is not very good indeed ...
she is a lady whatever....greetings