Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Just Like Rosie

Well, isn’t this Rosie – as in Rosie O’Donnell is joining the cast of “And Just Like That” for the reboot’s third season. It’s interesting to watch who Hollywood turns to as the Go To Lesbian. Rosie seems to be leading the pack, with roles on “The L Word: Generation Q” and “A League of Their Own” and, for those with slightly longer memories, “The Fosters.” I’ve noticed whenever a queer/queer-friendly show wants to bolster its bona fides they’ve brought in an out, established, visibly lesbian star. Rosie also gives shows just enough of a butch edge to not be too scary for the straight folks (though, if her hair in her AJLT set selfie is any indication, not terribly butch at all – though I think it’s maybe a wig ). Right now, really the only other actress competing for Go To Lesbian status is Lea DeLaria, who recently popped up in my beloved “Girls5Eva.” Rosie’s casting is also an obvious replacement for Sara Ramirez who left the show after two seasons. While I enjoy Sara’s work, I can’t say I’ll miss their character of Che too much on the show. Though I feel that’s more to do with how Che was written, and their awkwards dynamic with Miranda and the group. So, thoughts on Rosie joining Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and the rest? Honestly, it’s not a great show but I continue to watch out of displaced loyalty to all those hours spent watching SATC in my 20s – and none of them were even gay then!

1 comment:

lisa said...

It's a shame the "go to lesbian" can't act. :-/