Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Rather Be Auliʻi

Look, I know I’m two months late. But I finally got a chance to watch the “Mean Girls” musical movie and I liked it. I definitely liked it. Is it just a pretty faithful retelling of the original Mean Girls with songs and dancing? Yes. Am I OK with that since we’re a society that can never stop recycling its stories? Like, we do not need more Batman or Spider-Man or Superman stories, fellas? We really, really don’t.

Still, here’s the thing I definitely don’t agree with. Obviously, I agree with how much the Gen. Z queer girlies love Renee Rapp. But I disagree with their lack of reciprocal love for Auliʻi Cravalho. Like, why stan just one when you could rightfully stan them both, folks? Both are immensely talented. Both can sing their hearts out. Both are out and queer. And this is Auliʻi’s second role as a queer teen heartthrob. Remember “Crush?” I do, it was great and sweet and funny. (You can watch it on Hulu right now! Yes, now!) Granted, Auliʻi hasn’t been out on tour waving a lesbian flag on stage. But, still, can we get a little (age-appropriate) love here for Auliʻi or what? Like her transition from adorable teenage Moana to twentysomething queer standout is chef’s kiss so far. Though, one small suggestion, maybe next time put her in a movie with Renee where they go from enemies to lovers because I would have really, really REALLY loved that “Mean Girls.”

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Loved Crush! I wished they had those type of movies when I was young and trying to figure things out. Auli'i" is great!

Anonymous said...

Ditto Crush ! Thx Dorothy for keeping me informed. you are my favorite!