Thursday, May 05, 2022

Can You Have a Crush on a Movie?

Here’s a delightful ray of sunshine just exactly when we need it the most. As Republicans are salivating at the prospect of stripping even more of our rights (the drumbeat coming after my and all our queer marriages is becoming deafening, folks), at least we can enjoy a cute little gay movie about teenagers with crushes on each other. At least there’s still that.

Hulu’s new queer teen rom-com “Crush” is a wonderful little glitter bomb of joy that hits right at the right time. Set in a high school world with basically no hang-ups about LGBTQ+ people and a seemingly ample (well, compared to my high school) dating pool of young gay women, the film poses the eternal question: What if you fall for the hot queer non-identical twin sisters at your school and can’t figure out which one you like best? I know, totally relatable conundrum (in my wildest teenage dreams…)

Yet, even if the premise seems a tad far-fetched (though, what rom-com meet-cute isn’t far-fetched?), the result is pretty much everything you’d want from a teen movie. An extremely likable cast (like, does everyone under 21 have an age-appropriate crush on out bi actress Auliʻi Cravalho?), smart dialogue, preternaturally witty and wise youths, a “cool” mom (hey, Megan Mullally, hey), funny adults (the perennial scene stealer Michelle Buteau) and a snappy yet truly sweet story.

Indeed, “Crush” feels like almost any other straight teen movie, but better because it has more to say than just your standard, “Hey, did you know teenagers get horny and say funny things!” First-time screenwriters and Buzzfeed alums Kirsten King and Casey Rackham (and the movie’s most excellent producers Maya Rudolph and Natasha Lyonne) have deftly taken what could be a standard teen movie and centered young queer women and the importance of their inner lives. Also, it’s funny. And it’s just the right amount of raunchy. And, of course, there are grand romantic gestures. And smoochies.

“Crush” straddles the line between mass mainstream entertainment and something extraordinarily rare with ease and style. I’m so happy it exists and young queer women finding themselves have a movie of their own. I’ve watched it three times already, and I’m clearly way too old to be its target audience. So, enjoy something good today and take yourself to the couch to watch this movie. Heck, even witchy lesbians get their due. Really, this movie has everything. And, I’m sure for some lonely queer kid out there, it is everything. Happy watching, kittens.

3 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

Putting it on my list

citizen spot said...

Watched it last week based on DS's recommendation. It was a welcome break from recent news of the world. I am certainly not in the target age demographic but I found it charming and funny. I can't help but think how much I would have appreciated this film when I was in high school, way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Panty Buns said...

YES, absolutely!!!!!!
So far I have only seen the trailer you embedded here,
but I already a HUGE crush on the Crush movie.
THANK YOU for posting it again! <3 xx :-)