Monday, March 04, 2024

Music Monday: Craving k.d.

I was thinking about k.d. lang the other day. And I was thinking how in with our current class of queer music stars (boygenius, Renee Rapp, Janelle Monae et al) we sometimes overlook our O.G. butch lesbian icon. Like, “Constant Craving” probably awakened the nascent lesbian cravings of countless baby dykes. Yet k.d. doesn’t always get lumped into the same queer history conversations as a Melissa Etheridge or Ellen DeGeneres or Rosie O’Donnell. But, unlike those three, she couldn’t really hide her queerness. (Yes, of course, I realize the climate was different back then – I lived through the 90s thank you very much.) We haven’t really had a debonair queer crooner of her caliber emerge to fill the void. So I sincerely hope that k.d. rethinks her “semi-retirement” and finds the muse to make music again. Perhaps, buoyed by our current wave of queer hitmakers, she might reemerge to get all the gay flowers she deserves. Otherwise, I’m sure we could find some willing tribute to try to help her find that muse again. Ahem. Happy Monday, kittens.

3 comments:

theredbaron said...

The first time I heard/saw kd was my junior year of college while watching the Calgary Winter Olympics closing ceremony. What a captivating force of nature! I wasn't even out to my self then, but there was certainly something about her that captured my attention.

http://vimeo.com/511327770

Anonymous said...


Constant craving will forever hold a special place in my heart - I think KD was the first lesbian I’d heart of after Martina.

She came up randomly on my music streamer the other week and this will sound ridiculous but I’d actually forgotten how great her voice is.
I’d love an American songbook standards album from her. Like what she did with TB.

Oh god could you imagine her and Tracy Chapman releasing something together? The universe needs that.

Anonymous said...

*Heard of, although I did heart her too…