Friday, January 19, 2024

My Weekend (TV) Crush

Hot damn (or cold damn, given the context), I am already really into “True Detective: Night Country.” I mean, I’m a fan of most things Jodie Foster does. But when you give her a badge and sic her on a truly terrifying case, well, the lambs are screaming — for joy in my heart. I’ve been excited for Night Country since it was first announced, and my impatience only grew as the great reviews kept rolling in. But now, after just one episode, I’m already pretty sure it’ll be one of my favorite watches of 2024, less than 20 days into this new year.

Why? Well, I already mentioned Jodie in a uniform, and that stern but always smart air of authority she carries. Also, it appears her daughter (or step daughter, or minor female child she is guardian for — they haven’t made that 100% clear yet, but there’s some tragic backstory coming clearly) is queer. That’s now two female detective shows I watch with lesbian daughters for those keeping score. (You should watch “Annika” too, totally different show, but also built around a very smart, very capable woman.)

But back to what makes Night Country so good. Jodie, teamed with the equally magnetic Kali Reis (who is a relative newcomer to acting, but obviously not smoldering) make a compelling team despite their obvious on-screen loathing for one another. And there’s even another notable role for Fiona Shaw, who appears to be a rugged individualist who sees dead people (instead of, say, a calculating assassin wrangler/international powerbroker/happily ever after killer).

Still not convinced? Well, there’s the show’s female writer-director Issa Lopez, highlighting of the plight of indigenous women and has two female stars as lead for the first time in the acclaimed HBO/Max anthology crime show’s history. Oh, and there’s some spooky, supernaturally vibes, too. And a one-eyed polar bear. And soooo many hats and parkas. As I was saying, you should probably just watch. I know I can’t wait until Sunday. Happy weekend, all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, first episode was promising. I hate Mondays, but the next episodes will make all those Mondays so much better. Really scary weird things happening in Alaska. :) - Johanna

Joanna said...

I loved Annika! Watched it because I'd seen Nicola Walker in LAST TANGO IN HALIFAX. And yes. Foster's new show is fantastic, and I love that her stepdaughter's queer and she's weilding some real dyke energy with that gun and tie. And flannel. I've heard that eventually we'll find out she's dated men, but for now, I think she has a mad crush on Navarro and that's why she's bitchy to her. To hide it.

New Greek said...

I have a similar foundational crush on Jodie Foster, so I watched the show as soon as I could, before I saw your post. I even watched the first two seasons of True Detective as a warmup (wouldn't watch a show that dominated by men otherwise). I totally agree with your assessment, and yeah, give a woman a badge, a tie, and dammit a gun (I hate every gun that's not on a hot lesbian's hip) and I'm a gonner. Glad this has some intelligent storytelling to boot!