Monday, August 22, 2022

Music Monday: Working Girl Edition

If you remember the late 80s through a fog of aerosol hairspray and big shoulder pads like I do, you no doubt have a warm spot for Carly Simon’s “Let the River Run.” I associate it, intrinsically, with the 1988 rom-com hit “Working Girl.” Melanie Griffith. Sigourney Weaver. Joan Cusack. An endless supply of AquaNet. Like, come on. That’s beyond 80s iconic. That’s the 80s in a time capsule. And this song was so triumphant, it still lifts my spirits each time I hear it. Honestly, I have to resist the urge to stand up and cheer.

So it’s with fondness and hope that I received news of a “Working Girl” reboot produced by and starring Selena Gomez (who I absolutely adore in “Only Murders in the Building”). The original film was so specifically 80s it will be interesting to see how they reinterpret it for the 2020s. We can only hope they find a similarly rejuvenating anthem to buoy our spirits. Happy Monday, kittens.

3 comments:

Helena said...

Thank you , this was a good way to start the week . It really brought back such good memories. Have a wonderful week Dorothy.

Carmen San Diego said...

Love this song

Anonymous said...

Jarring to see the towers in the background...