Thursday, August 11, 2022

Gender Fuck Thursday: A Kate For All Season

Oh Kate, Kate. Please never stop wearing suits or chunky lesbian watches. And please never stop making prestige TV for HBO. The almost EGOT (perhaps time for a little Broadway after your TV projects, eh?), will star and produce in two more limited series for the premium channel after her “Mare of Easttown” success.

Her two planned HBO projects give us a Kate for All Seasons: Contemporary Kate and possibly Period-Piece Kate.

The first announced series, “Trust” is an adaptation of the novel by the same name about a wealthy financier who reads a novel based on his life and hires a secretary to ghostwrite a memoir because he’s upset with how he and his wife are portrayed. But the ghostwriter realizes he is trying to rewrite history — and his wife’s place in it. I haven’t read the book, so I don’t know if Kate will be playing the ghostwriter or the wife (though I kind of think the ghostwriter?).

The second project is called “The Palace.” The time period isn’t elaborated on in the announcement. But the story will ”chronicles a year inside an authoritarian regime as it begins to unravel.” I can’t tell if this will be a present-day palace or an old-timey palace what with authoritarianism being so popular across the damn ages. The series will team Kate up with acclaimed English director Stephen Frears, whose films include “The Queen,” “Victoria & Abdul” and this year’s “The Lost King.” Does someone have a monarchy kink? Just saying.

I will likely check out both these projects, as I greatly enjoyed Kate in “Mare of Easttown,” which was just an all-around acting clinic. And of course I also liked (though, goodness, they were going for grim) “Ammonite.” So I can’t wait to see her tackle both contemporary and possibly period projects for HBO again. And perhaps she could wear suits like in her Elle/Longines/fancy kinda lesbian watches photoshoot in at least one of them? You know, just a suggestion. Suits are, after all, timeless.

4 comments:

Erin Schmidt said...

She's aging like a fine wine. She just keeps getting better and better.

Carmen San Diego said...

“ Does someone have a monarchy kink? Just saying.” I LOLd

Anonymous said...

Kates ammonite character hit so hard, I love the roles she’s doing more now than precious babyKate - and she was fire, so yes co-signing this post 100%

Anonymous said...

Bizarrely, especially as a Brit, Kate’s hotness only hit me recently. But TBF I think Mare & Ammonite are the only things I’ve actually seen her in. I guess her earlier roles were in stuff that never appealed to me. Loathed Ammonite but thought she was outstanding and absolutely adored Mare. That’s a series where I want more whilst simultaneously hoping they leave it alone as it was perfect.

A timely reminder that I must look out for more of her work and it looks like these roles are much more appealing to me than her earlier stuff. Cheers DS.