Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Fit for a Woman King

I don’t believe in fitspo. I like to say, quite accurately, that I only run when chased. But I do believe in ragespo. So please enjoy this minute of the cast of “The Woman King” sharing how they got jacked to play the raging Dahomey Amazons. They’re the inspiration for the all-female King’s guard in “Black Panther” and anytime Viola Davis gets to put her massive talent (and those arms) on display is a reason to celebrate for me. Though, since we’re talking about accurate history this week, it will be interesting to see how this movie threads the needle on the Kingdom of Dahomey’s participation in the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. That’s the thing about history, it’s never neat and rarely tidy. Heroes are all too often also villains in other ways. (See: Fathers, Founding) But it is important to understand. And, with Viola and Gina Prince-Bythewood at the helm, hopefully both entertaining and inspirational to watch.

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

So looking forward to it although the title still irks me