Thursday, July 21, 2022

Gender Fuck Rosie

A Rosie by any other name would be just as gay. And thank heavens for that. Rosie O’Donnell, sometimes forgotten as that other pioneering lesbian talk show host, is coming back to “A League of their Own.” The comic has a role in the new Amazon Prime series which reboots the movie premise with a new cast of players and, we’ve been promised, considerably more diversity and queerness. Rosie famously played third basewoman Doris Murphy in the 1992 movie.

In the new series she won’t be a player, at least not in that sense. Ahem. What? I like her in that suit — I’m always sucker for a lady in a suit, always. According to Entertainment Weekly, Rosie’s new character will be a local bar owner named Vi. She’s described as:

A "warm, gregarious" fan of the Rockford Peaches, Vi crosses paths with (Abbi) Jacobson's catcher Carson and soon welcomes her into her orbit.
I knew there was something to that look Abbi gave D'Arcy Carden as she slid into home. I KNEW it. Abbi, who co-created the series, is also bixesual and currently dating “Bomb Girls” alum Jodi Balfour. Also, how did I not know about this couple before I researched the new “A League of Their Own” series? Is the Lesbian Bat Signal not working or something?
Anyway, I can’t wait to see Rosie play a lesbian bar owner (what, reading between the lines here) who wears pinstrip suits. I reall can’t.

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

Yup, lesbian bar owner is what I got too