Thursday, October 28, 2021

Give 'Em Hell

Keeping in theme with Halloween Week and all things that go bump in the night, I have to say I think it’s pretty cool that Jamie Clayton has been cast in the iconic horror role of Pinhead for the reboot of the “Hellraiser” franchise. The gender-flip on what at least visually is one of the hand-down scariest characters in the horror pantheon is welcomed. I wasn’t necessarily a fan of the originals (too much body gore for me, thanks). But I might have to try out the new Hulu offering when it debuts in 2022.
You no doubt recognize Jamie from her work on Netflix’s “Sense8” and Showtime’s “The L Word: Generation Q.” I’ve enjoyed her character Tess, though at times it seemed like the series wasn’t entirely sure what to do with her. She’s the women scorned! She’s Shane’s true love! She’s dating Cherie Jaffe! And as wary as I am (and unfortunately too often rightfully so) at how horror tropes have treated queer women and villainized trans characters, I’m willing to sign on with the confidence that Jamie won’t let any of that nonsense scare us in the new “Hellraiser” movie. So thoughts on Jamie taking over as Pinhead? I hope she got to keep that box. Ahem.

Also, uh, are her boots CLOVEN?? Getting into character looks good on her.

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

I don’t dislike the character but I don’t think the chemistry was there between Tess and Shane