Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Going to Bat

Want some more good and gay TV news for 2021? The first trailer for the new “Batwoman” series with new lead Javicia Leslie donning the Batsuit has arrived. While it’s undeniably awkward for a show to change its lead star after the first season, it’s obviously not unprecedented and in the world of comics kind of like your average Wednesday. Javicia being cast to replace original series star Rudy Rose, who quit suddenly after the first season, is a welcome and refreshing, not to mention historic, move. These first glimpses of her in action prove she is more than capable of filling Ruby’s cowl. (Plus, not to be mean, but Ms. Rose was no Shakespearean actor). I think the show’s decision to replace instead of just recast the character of Batwoman (while of course keeping her a lesbian) will turn out to be a good one, possibly a very good one. Here is a Black woman leading a superhero series about a Black lesbian superhero with her name as the title. Gosh, and it only took until 2021.

3 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

Oh cmon Ruby wasn’t bad in this show. In fact she got way better as the season progressed
I’m gonna miss Kate Kane

Anonymous said...

Oh how I laughed with the Rudy Rose faux pass! Tbh, you had me checking frantically, whether I missed another announcement, in light of recent Elliot Page coming out (YAY for that one!). My internet tells me Ruby is still very much Ruby and not Rudy - I might be wrong! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh how I laughed with the Rudy Rose faux pas! Tbh, you had me checking frantically, whether I missed another announcement, in light of recent Elliot Page coming out (YAY for that one!). My internet tells me Ruby is still very much Ruby and not Rudy - I might be wrong! :)