Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Don't Call Me Shirley

Neon has really come into its own as the go-to indie for beautiful, smart cinema. Last year they scored with “Parasite” and “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” (among others) and now they’re back with “Shirley,” a fictitious look at a period in the life of acclaimed author Shirley Jackson of “the Lottery” and “The Haunting of Hill House” and many other stories fame.

I actually don’t know that much about her real life, but given that she was reclusive that’s not too surprising. But Elisabeth Moss certainly attacks the role with gusto here. From what I’ve read the young couple who end up staying with Shirley and her husband Stanley Edgar Hyman are fictitious, meant as foils to move the narrative of what looks like story of brilliance intertwined with madness and depression. Ah, yes, the crazy genius - that old chestnut.

I don’t know about you, but I detect some fairly flirty subtext between Shirley and Rose, the young wife. But, that could just be my gay goggles. Shirley also seems mildly murderous, so we shall see. Though I certainly hope they don’t meld murderous and liking the ladies together somehow. I mean, that’s one old chestnut too far.

2 comments:

Helena said...

Hoping with you about that old chestnut thing. Have a healthy and safe week.

Carmen San Diego said...

Love your gay goggles. Never take them off