Tuesday, February 18, 2020

TV Review: Tommy

So, it’s only two episodes in so far, but I rather like “Tommy.” It’s a bit like “The West Wing” of police procedurals – the white liberal dream of what law enforcement can be. Like, I know they’re feeding us the fantasy resolutions to intractable real-world issues, but I’m happy to let them help me dream. Basically, it’s like someone set out to make the political opposite of “Blue Bloods.”

As such it’s definitely striving to be the “wokest” cop show I’ve watched in a while. So far they’ve taken on ICE, deportations, police shootings, political corruption, sex trafficking, PTSD, suicide, sexism, sexual harassment, and I know I’m missing some other Hot Topic. And, again, it’s only been two episodes. If nothing else it sure knows how to pack a lot of plot into each installment.



But the good news there is more than just progressive takes on hot political topics (not that there’s anything wrong with that). It also allows the always excellent Edie Falco to bring her unassuming competence to the role of Chief Abigail “Tommy” Thomas , the first female chief of police for Los Angeles – who also happens to be a newly out lesbian.

The pilot episode made Tommy’s sexuality one of the – many – major plot points. And it even lets her get convincingly flirted with by a woman (and, y’all were right, the elevator lady was definitely not Katrina Lenk). But, alas, her sexuality is nowhere to be seen in the second episode. Still earlier reports have promised her and Lenk’s characters would become something of an item this season. So that’s something to look forward to.

If these stills from the March 5 episode are any indication, we won’t have to wait that long.



Also, damn, looks like Tommy suddenly got a lot less tired.



All in all, this feels like a solid CBS show, which is no way meant as an insult. It’s just surprising.

So, thoughts? And, man, what it is it with ladies totally blowing their shot with other ladies and elevators?

3 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

Oh wow I forgot about that show
Good to know that it’s good, Saw a lot of people complaining about it on Autostraddle
But I guess that’s mostly because it’s a cop show

LG fan said...

I'm not typically into cop shows, but so far I really like it. I like how they're making her character take on the bad boys and win. I think it's been a good mix with the personal story side as well. Here's to hoping the lez content picks up soon! Two thumbs up from me.

Unknown said...

Good to know. Im watching New Amsterdam,which is West Wing only a hospital show.I'll try to watch it next week and give it a try.