Wednesday, February 26, 2020

La Vida Sisters

Please allow me to whiplash your attention from a show yesterday that didn’t make enough sense to a show today that makes almost too much sense today. Like “Westworld,” Starz series “Vida” is also entering its third season.

But instead of making me scratch my head, “Vida” has made me expand my mind. It’s brought an often raw and searing look at Latinx and LGBTQ culture, and various subcultures, in East Los Angeles. There’s nothing else like it on TV, which is kind of the point. This kind of intersectional and inclusive storytelling remains sadly really rare.

From this first teaser trailer, it’s encouraging to see the complex (and often heart-wrenching) bond between sisters Emma & Lyn may finally be strong enough for a little more joy to find its way in. Plus, who wouldn’t love to attend a Queerceanera?

3 comments:

Helena said...

Love this show , good to know it's back.

Elana said...

Such a good show!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Westworld. Vida is okay.