Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Last Fall

Can you believe there is only one episode of “The Fall” left? Can you? I can’t. I won’t. I feel like it has been forever since the show started, but it was only five short episodes ago. While last season was a slow boil, this season has been a breathless tight-wire act. I didn’t know how this show could become even more taut and fraught with stomach-knotting tension, with so little of what is traditionally considered “action.” But it has. And somehow it has also gotten a lot smart, which – again – seems impossible.

And, once again, I give much of the credit to Gillian Anderson who has been a magnificent study of control, power, indignation and grace throughout this series. I have no idea how it will end. I have no idea if this is the end (like, will there be a season 3, who knows?) But I do know I feel very, very lucky to have been able to watch Gillian these past 10-hours of television. So, with the finale airing tomorrow in Ireland and Thursday in the rest of the UK, this is an appreciation of Ms. Anderson and this humdinger of a season. For my full thoughts on the penultimate episode (SPOILER: Oh my God, how satisfying was it seeing Katie – and of course Paul – arrested?) check out my recap on AfterEllen. Also, you know, any excuse to stare at Gillian Anderson some more is a good excuse.

[Click any of these to embiggen because you know you want to.]

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dorothy,

I thought you might like to know that Ireland is not part of the UK and that to some people it is rather an offensive mistake to make.

[Northern Ireland is part of the UK but there are plenty who'd rather it wasn't.]

Unknown said...

Oh my god have you seen the RTÉ trailer for the finale?? its pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9e-KPdBJC4

(Re the Ireland comment - I think technically the original blog post can be taken as correct, as Northern Ireland is located on the island named Ireland, and what the above commentor is referring to is The Republic of Ireland, which is also located on the island of Ireland, and is indeed not part of the UK so I can see the confusion. So if the blogger says a show is being screened in Ireland one day and the rest of the uk the next, while it is non specific its not factually incorrect.)

Anonymous said...

Thanks you Dorothy. Well said! I love the recaps.

Anonymous said...

Sam, it can be a bit confusing but actually it is incorrect. It is airing in Ireland on Wednesday (on RTÉ) it won't air on BBC in the UK (including Northern Ireland) till Thursday.

Ireland or Éire is the name of the country (and to be confusing also the island). It is sometimes referred to as the Republic of Ireland but that is not it's name. If referring to the part of the island that is a member of the UK, you would only ever refer to it as Northern Ireland or perhaps Ulster (although the latter is not strictly correct). Never as simply Ireland.

M

Kaz said...

Jesus Christ @Anon. This blog is not a geography class. Dorothy was just conveying the info that was posted associated with the release of the last episode. She did not need to fact check the geo-political accuracy of the news release.

Anonymous said...

@Tristen You're either young, naive or both.

Anonymous said...

I am Irish, neither young or naive but can honestly say I was more interested in the Gillian Anderson pics than the actual geographical error.
Also I know lots of people that are happy that NI is part of the UK.
Just saying.....

Anonymous said...

Awesome recaps!
Also greatly enjoying the Lost girl recaps.
Thanks! :-)

Hoot66 said...

Wish you had buried the spoiler a bit more . . .